using a laptop

G

guignol d.

Hello to everyone, that's my first post here. I'm sorry, maybe this thing has already been discussed... I decided to start doing live-mixing using a laptop and running pcdj red and kramixer (both excellent programs i.m.o.). The problem is: which laptop? I know that both these softwares don not require too much CPU, but obviously I need an "ultrasafe" laptop (not giving blue screens during a gig:( ) Is it really necessary to spend a lot of money to buy a MAC or is it possible to have safe live gigs with a PC laptop too?
Thank you very much.

http://www.guignoldangereux.com

Ofcourse you could install linux, then you're sure you won't see any blue screens.. but I don't know if there are DJ programs for Linux

I've been using my Dell inspiron 8200 for live gigs w/ Native Instruments Traktor. No problems w/ it crashing. I Honestly didn't like pc dj; just made me mad. And Yes there is a linux based dj software/hardware made by stanton called final scratch. Final Scratch is the best piece of software/hardware for any dj. I would suggest saving some $$$ and invest in it w/ a couple of techs and a good mixer.

dj chex said:
I've been using my Dell inspiron 8200 for live gigs w/ Native Instruments Traktor. No problems w/ it crashing. I Honestly didn't like pc dj; just made me mad. And Yes there is a linux based dj software/hardware made by stanton called final scratch. Final Scratch is the best piece of software/hardware for any dj. I would suggest saving some $$$ and invest in it w/ a couple of techs and a good mixer.

I didn't know Final scratch's able to run on Linux

*shame on me*

within reason i dont think the actual computer brand or things like that are of much concern...provided you have sufficient memory and a processor with cache (ie, NOT celeron) you should be fine..just load up on the memory....and run a stable OS....probably Win2K or Win XP - although niether are stable compared to Linux - but hey, that isn't an option...
so yeah to recap...you want
-good OS
-good amount of ram (256 min?)
-7200 rpm HD would be nice

or you could do the final scratch thing, i didn't know it'd run on Linux either!

thanks!

Thanks for the tips!
I know that Final Scratch is a very good software, a friend of mine uses it and I had a try on it. Basically I'm more oriented on a laptop-only software 'cause I'm not very much in scratching, but using an external mixer.
Thank you very much.

Guignol D.

DJ Dhance said:

I didn't know Final scratch's able to run on Linux

*shame on me*

final scratch IS a linux piece of software - it runs in a linux shell under windows

Final scratch doesnt run in a windows shell, you get a boot loader that allows you to select Windows\FinalScratch. I think it runs on mandrake version of linux.. not sure tho'

T

oh right!

thats pretty cool - i wasnt too keen on it running under a shell

i might have to give it a look :)

how much are you willing to spend?

if you have 1000 bucks, i'd definately go for a iBook. you'll want to add some ram to it though. probly 256 megs more.

or if your willing to spend more, then go for a powerbook g4 for about $2500... they are FAST.... read this review - http://www.infoworld.com/articles/pl/xml/02/12/16/021216plpowerbook.xml

macs are durable, stable, and an ibook is really small (excelent for traveling with). itoons is very cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
windows xp can be stripped down till it is really reliable and fast for music

and if you're using fs, it wont matter what os the laptop is.

Thanks for your replies.
Probably the Ibook solution is the better for me, also because i've seen that a version of Traktor 2 for MAC does exist (not my beloved pcdj, but traktor is cool too!). Then, just to have a try, i've downloaded the free version of Tactile 12000 - it hasn't many features but it's very funny to use... definately not a pro software but easy to use, light and... free - and it runs on mac too. So probably Ibook+Traktor2+external mixer will be my choice!

http://www.guignoldangereux.com

Windows XP is a pretty solid operating system. I've NEVER had a blue screen unless there was a hardware problem.

funkmasterwikki said:
windows xp can be stripped down till it is really reliable and fast for music

and if you're using fs, it wont matter what os the laptop is.

Just disable all of the visual themes and make sure very few things in the startup then it is really killer stable for any micro$oft product :monkey:

This post got me thinking about what computer hardware everyone has so here's my stuff:

System 1:
Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 1.6Ghz, 15" SXGA, 256 PC2100 ram, 30GB IBM Travelstar HDD, Geforce2 go 32MB, 16x cdrw, Win xp pro, soundblaster extigy, and arctic silver 3 on cpu/heatsink

System 2:
MSI KT3 Ultra2 w/ raid, Athlon xp2200, corsair 512MB DDR333 cas2 RAM, Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128mb, 80GB Maxtor diamond max 7200rpm, Via 1394 card, soundblaster live!, audiowerk2, Black Antec soho case, 10x plexwriter cdrw, and 17"sony trinitron crt.

Back