Turntable vs Desktop dj'ing

By "desktop" DJing I am going to assume you mean using a controller? that's a weird term but I think it just comes down to the end result! I personally prefer using "tables" in some simulated form over buttons like an apc40 for example

Depends what you are gonna play and whether you have a great collection of vinyl. I play hip-hop, funk, 70's soul, disco and have been collecting vinyl new and second hand for years. I wouldn't even consider going the digital route and learning to mix on turntables is fun and satisfying and has that physical feel. If you're starting out and playing house or techno or whatever then I suppose digital but I've tried mixing on cheap-ish CDJs and found it a nightmare so you have to spend some cash and get decent Pioneers. But I'm two turntables and a decent scratch mixer through and through. It looks cooler too

Last edited:
I can only tell you what happened at a wedding gig last weekend-- crappy digital files almost ruined the event. Miscues, misfires, wrong songs being played when I definitely clicked the correct files, playlists crapping-out at the last minute. I use CDJ with the possibility of USB input; I had an iPod and iPhone available (that had been set-up and tested prior) for specific wedding party requests.

I have had a CD not work about once or twice in about 30 years (?); digital files mess up all the time. And iTunes downloads are junk 50% of the time. Don't even get me started on streaming with spotty wifi.

CD's or LP's all the way...

GJ

Back