Ten Most Frequently Asked Questions?

catnap

Major Label Whore
i was thinking that it might be useful to come up with an FAQ based on the ten most frequently asked gear questions. after being an active poster on this section of Futureproducers for about a month now, i've already seen the same questions get asked over and over again. obviously, telling people to "check the archives" isn't very friendly, so i was thinking that we should compile an FAQ.

first, we should list about ten questions that are often asked around here.

my list would be:

1. technics 1200 tone arm and pitch calibration
2. headphone recommendations (pioneer, sony, sennheiser)
3. to how fix warped records / how to clean dirty vinyl
4. how to clean faders & EQ pots
5. DJ packages: basic & advanced setups for various styles of mixing
6. what is the difference between a battle mixer and a club mixer?
7. needle care & replacement, as well as some reccomendations
8. recording your demo, techniques & technology
9. using effects: what are flange / delay / reverb / filters etc., and some hardware reccomendations
10. your first PA system: an intro to buying speakers
11. home speaker systems: budget ideas vs. studio monitors
12. alternatives to the Technics 1200
13. dubplates - what are they?
14. mixer roundup - several popular mixers from $100 to $1000

ok, so i went over 10... but what do you guys think is important? please post here with your own lists. btw, i know that i left off any questions about CD players. i use CD's, but haven't upgraded my CD decks in 7 years, so i'm kinda out of the loop on CD technology now.

come on guys, let's hear it!

peace,
sim*n

i'm kinda working on something like this for phuturesoul.com, but i like your idea of just hitting the individual points head on. i was going a bit more broad but i like your idea. if you think you've seen these kinds of questions in one month, you should see what it's like over a year or so, yet we all still hang out anyways. it's still fun.

great idea

Q: Which turntable should I buy
A: Technics

All other techs questions (servicing, callibration, cart mounting, tweaks etc) should get directed to the Technics FAQ - no need to rewrite something that's already there.

What decks?
What mixer?
What carts?
What headphones?
What speakers?

The thing is, it all depends on budget, purpose, and preference. There can never be one easy answer.

Number one; Do you have any Hip-Hop?

Oops... sorry, wrong thread!

BS iloveclubbersrepeatasnecessary G

Siv said:
All other techs questions (servicing, callibration, cart mounting, tweaks etc) should get directed to the Technics FAQ - no need to rewrite something that's already there.

excellent answer, Siv!

and Carnage, I don't think there are too many equipment choices to give good advice. no, you can't list/review all the different decks and mixers, but if you explain the prinicples behind them, and how a few choice pieces of gear implement those principles, then I think you can create a framework by which to evaluate most of the choices out there.

peace,
sim*n

Siv said:
Q: Which turntable should I buy
A: Technics

Well, the thing is that people come here and ask the questions anyway, instead of going to those external sources. If we could have a page internally here that we could point to (or even posted as a sticky or announcement), that would be key.

punosion said:

Well, the thing is that people come here and ask the questions anyway, instead of going to those external sources. If we could have a page internally here that we could point to (or even posted as a sticky or announcement), that would be key.

EXACTLY!!!! there are many DJ FAQ's on the net, but none cover ALL the issues frequently brought up here, and many are woefully out of date. this site (or at least this sub-forum) could use a good FAQ, and I think we're in the best possible place and community to create that document.

-sim*n

one question im frequently asked is "how is it humanly possible to be as cool as you are without being multiple persons?"

the answer? "psh!"

ego level currently at:97%

I would be willing to do a part of this. I think that we could make a master list of subjects, and then divide them up so we could write parts that we were informed and interested about...
-Peasant Nikon

nikon - if you're down, then rock the funky FAQ list groove! (translation: post your own list please)

funkmaster - the most common question i get is: "Your record collection is impressive, but when will I get to see YOUR twelve-inch?" :D

cheese level: 100%

-sim*n

catnap said:

EXACTLY!!!! there are many DJ FAQ's on the net, but none cover ALL the issues frequently brought up here, and many are woefully out of date. this site (or at least this sub-forum) could use a good FAQ, and I think we're in the best possible place and community to create that document.

-sim*n

Trust me, there's only one Technics FAQ and it's definitive. There's nothing that it doesn't cover... Can't comment on other stuff but as far as Techs are concerned, it's the shiz.

funkmasterwikki said:
one question im frequently asked is "how is it humanly possible to be as cool as you are without being multiple persons?"

the answer? "psh!"

ego level currently at:97%

ROFLMAO!! :o :p

No, seriously though...someday I really hope to be as cool as you, funkmasterwikki, and hope I get a chance to "rock the house" before I die.

Ego level currently at: 17% (Just because it's a Saturday.)

we all do at some point in our lives (apart from me, as i dont need to dream :))

and catnap, your ways of working the cheese are impressive!

ego at:95% (im tired)

i`d love to help with this when i get back home....

i`m currently visiting the in-laws in japan and so i`m a little busy to search this forum and the net.......

ego level: -14%

i really am about as cool as a box of rocks for christmas

well i guess we should start with the master list......
i`ll get back to ya`ll about this after jan11th

Can forum etiquette be included in the FAQ? :D Seriously though I wouldn’t mind helping writing whatever's agreed on.

-Gene

no, but the ******** cover all our bad manners! we are all made of stars..:D

catnap said:
the most common question i get is: "Your record collection is impressive, but when will I get to see YOUR twelve-inch?" :D

lol

Hoping u mainly talk to females :p

Back