technics question

zsims

hi,

finaly i bought 1200 mk2s from usa.I know that they are 110V only. Does anyone of ya know what is the part number of that power thingie that needs to be changed to be able to use it with 220V? And how much does it cost?

p.s. **** gramar ;)

S1MS

there no plug that will fix this problem . you would have to replace part of the pcb board inside the turntable . the u.k. 1210 version has a switch to back and forth from 220 to 110 . you need to find a >good <
voltage converter . not one for a shaver or phone charger . they will probaly catch your flat on fire !!!!! you will be using them for long periods of time .let what ever company you buy them from know this and talk to someone that knows what there talking about!!!!!! look on the internet for the converter and buy a fire extinguisher .
sorry .

I don't have the part numbers but what you need is the dual voltage transformer and the dual voltage power supply board that works with it. If you are good at soldering it should be an easy install but it has a couple extra wires.

ok, here's the deal people. i spent a couple of hours tonight trying to figure out the easy way to do this. to convert your USA version 1200 to 220V with all the correct parts would be a major PITA and probably not be worth the parts cost. so the easy way to do this is to get a UK transformer and set it up so it runs 220V all the time. technics has changed the transformer and voltage switch between the MK2 (& M3D) and the MK5 (& 5G). so here is what you need.

for the MK2/M3D get SLT66DTE13E transformer.

for the MK5/5G get the SFDZ122S01E transformer (N/A in the US).

the MK2/M3D dual transformer should work just fine for the MK5/5G as they both run at 30V AC on the main board, but the MK2/M3D wiring instructions must be followed.

i would highly recommend connecting an inline fuse between one of the yellow wires and the main circuit board if your deck does not have one inline. MK2s and early M3Ds do not. this should cost you $40 or less to do this work. i don't have access to an MK5 or 220V, so if you are serious about doing this, contact me and i will double check my wiring. please realize that I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DECKS FROM THIS MOD. if/when you move back to a 120V neighborhood, you can either run your standard transformer or just connect different wires to run at 120V. i gleaned all this information from the MK2, M3D, MK5 and MK5G manuals, so i'm not just pulling this out of my ... please let me know if anyone has any questions. - jeff h

EDIT: i'm going to have to do more research and testing on my 1210 to verify this stuff. it can be done, but i want to be 100% before i am posting what connects to what - this is why i removed the info i posted earlier. if you are in a hurry to do this, please contact me. ZINN, i'm getting a parts list together for the parts you are requiring. - jeff h

Last edited:
I would prefer using the dual/volt transformer and related voltage switch circuit board instead of hardwiring it for 220 or 110 using just a dual voltage transformer. The voltage control circuit board is independent of the mail board so I would be a somewhat easy swap and I would think it would not be too expensive.

ZINN, i'm assuming that you are asking for MK5/5G decks. if you are asking about MK2/M3Ds let me know. here are all the parts you will need and you will have to do some soldering:
REP2346A-1 POWER PCB
SFDZ122S01E TRANSFORMER
SFDSHXW01317 VOLTAGE SWITCH S602
ERC12UGK335D RESISTOR R601
ECQU2A473MY CAPACITOR C601
XBA2C025TB0 FUSE F1 (T250mA)
K5D102BA0003 FUSE F2 (T1A)
i'm hoping the power PCB comes with the fuse holders, but it may not. these parts are all for the EB/GN country codes which covers the UK.

the reason i suggested just the transformer before is that it will probably run about $100 per deck for the parts. for that $200 i would think you could get a voltage converter to power both decks without having to open your decks. you will also have a hard time getting these parts. some of the standard parts for the US MK5s are not even available yet in the US through panasonic. hth - jeff h

Back