SOS a wannabe is desperate help..

W

wannabe

yo u guys, im new as u can tell, and 1stly i just wanna say a big hi 2u all, and i been reading a few topics n u guys seem 2 know ur stuff, well as u can tell by ma screen name, i speak da truth!

right the situation is, i'm a lover of music, young, nearly 14! i live in england, right i'm sick of just collecting and listening to music, and when asked wot i do in ma social time goin "er...." ! u see, so i thought i'd get into sum kinda music hobby and dats where DJING popped into my head, its kinda been a dream so to speak, and i can imagine myself really taking up on djin, and now i reckon i'm at that age where i'm mature enough 2 buy and get into it. I know a little about djing, and am willing to risk my money!

one of the main decks that have pooped up is the Technic's 1200 and the 1210's, i am almost certain that i will get one or the other of these TT's.....first question- which one?

secondly, wot mixer shall i get 2 go with these? as i said i am a beginner, and the main tip that i have heard is "spend a little xtra on the TT's and just get a cheap little mixer" is this true?
i know basically wot to do with the TT's, but wot do i have 2 get 4 a basic mixer? wot must it include atleast?

i apoligise if this question has been done time and time again, but if sumone could point across their opinions and tips then thank you!

P.S anyone got any decent web links 4 decent decks? which include prices and that?

thanks once again....

1200s or 1210 makes no difference, they're both exactly the same in Europe, 'cept one's silver and one's black. It's just a matter of preference, but most likely, you're gonna wish you bought the colour you didn't buy. That always happens...;)

As for mixers, how about taking a look at the Vestax PCV002, it's a really nifty mixer for no money at all basically. Or a Gemini UMX5, 7 or 9, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

A good place to start for gear is www.sapphires.co.uk, you might be able to score a better deal on turntables on Richer Sounds, but check Sapphires for reference.

For a basic mixer i'd look the Numark Dm-1001MX, or if you are more scratch inclined then a Gemini Umx-5/7 like Mattu said, if you can find one, or a Gemini EX-26.
These mixers are decent for the price, do the job, have 3-band eq and hopefully will get you into good habits regarding eq, metering, monitoring etc.
Great for learning on, then 18months down the line you'll have found your feet and will probably know what you are looking for in the next step up.

ah thanks u guys, great help, i'll check dem out, chears me dears!

bless x

oh matt u also said "1200s or 1210 makes no difference, they're both exactly the same in Europe, 'cept one's silver and one's black."

wot if i were 2 get them imported from out of europe, would there be a difference then?

USA: 1210s have 110/220V converter switch, 1200s do not.
EU: both have voltage switch.

But for warranty reasons, I'd advice you to get them in the UK, or at least from within the EU.

ok thats cool, i understand now, im at the mo just checkin out sum of the mixers u both adviced, thanks u2...

importing from out of europe

i live in the US and i have 1210s. 1210s have a switch under the platter that lets you switch from 220V to 110V. if you get 1200s imported from outside europe, it is very likely you'll get US models. i am about 99% sure that the 1200s designed for the US don't have this switch and only run at 110V. so you would have to buy a transformer to even allow you to use this deck in the UK which pretty much cancels out any edge you would have on the price. also shipping from here to the UK would be expensive as they are rather heavy. try to find the best deal locally or mail order from the UK. you are starting out at a young age which is great. just make sure this is what you want to do. do you know anyone else with decks? if you do, you might want to start spending your money on records and mix at a friends house until you are certain that you want to drop the money on decks. i did exactly what you are thinking of - bought 2 1210s and a cheap numark mixer. for me it worked out well and i have never had second thoughts. - jeff h

if youre planning on doing any scratching whatsoever stay clear of the numark mixer. its a good dance mixer with nice trims n stuff(mine is at least, slightly diff. model number), but the crossfader is sooooo flimsy. i got a new one and after 4 or 5 days practicing on it(granted this was about 6 hours a day doing heavy scratching/juggling) it started to bleed and crackle like nobody's business... cant wait to get ahold of an Ecler.

yo thanks 4 the advice its all good!! erm well i'm proz going 2 e "spinning" alot of uran vinyl like hip hop/rap that kinda thing, does this narrow down any particular mixer?!!

thanks 4 all da help u guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet, well since thats the style i mainly play as well, i have a couple ideas for a mixer you might be interested in... how much ya lookin to spend?

Vestax-07 pro is probably the most standard hiphop/scratch dj mixer, some folks around here seem to love Rane brand mixers but ive never played around with one so i dunno. my personal favorite, and the one i plan to get to replace my busted up numark is the Ecler HAK-360. with awesome trims, super smooth faders for balance, upfaders, and crossfader, not to mention super customizable curve adjustment on the crossfader(can change how quick it goes from just one source to both sources together) its the shilznit. magnetic crossfader too so it wont have the bleeding problem my numark does.

True, those are good mixers but considerably steeper price-wise.

my goodness, you're suggesting a 13 year old gets 2 techs and an 07? hahaha

go for the umx for sure - i have one for about £85 if you like

next saturday there is this thing in the wedgewood rooms called "the go off", dj format will be there, and it sounds like its gonna be pretty dope (my cousin organises it), you should check it out as it's local.

oh, and deck wise, try and find some gemini pt2000's second hand or something - i know for a fact you wont be able to afford a pair of techs :)

heh oops, didnt realize he was that young. its true the gear i was suggesting is pretty pricey, you can get a 05 for kinda cheap tho for the mixer, i dunno much about any turntable brands besides the technics tho sorry :(

yo dude, im in winchester, you can have my umx5 for £85 - its a damn nice mixer, im just upgrading so i dont need it anymore

do it, it's a great great deal, trust me. and I'm sure the Fonkmeister has taken great care of it:D

this aint no dodgy cockney/northpolian mixer :)

its in great shape - i could give it to you in person next saturday if you wanted :)

oh yeah u will need cartrides too, for someone starting out i would suggest something from stanton's 500 series, like the 520sk dj craze signature or maybe just a 500al2. here in the US they are pretty cheap and decent especially for their price. And i think they come w/ an extra stylus.:cheers:

Ya i recently picked these up, not half bad.

Also, the cue burn is minimal, just as it promises.

Back