Question about CDJ 1000

C

Corporatesound

It's a pleasure to be here and I learn something new everyday but I have a question.... For those who have worked with the CDJ 1000 is it just plain better than the DN-S500.
And I just want to know if the CDJ 1000 can play MP3's?
Thanks

Hey. Welcome to FP! :hello:

I can't help you with your first question but I know that the
cdj-1000 doesn't play mp3s. Why would you want it to anyway? Having said that you should check out the cdj-800. It's cheaper than the 1000 and IMO isn't missing any features that would justify the 1000's higher cost.

-Gene

Hello.
I’ve been using a pair of CDJ-1000’s for almost a year. I have also played a little with the DN-S5000.
It is true; the CDJ-1000 doesn’t play MP3s and, sadly, probably never will. I would like it to, but what can you do...?
If you are used to mixing on turntables you might appreciate the S5000 more because of its rotating platter. I mix with vinyl too but I started with CDs so a rotating platter makes no difference to me. I found the interface of the S5000 a little awkward but that’s probably because I never used it before I tired it. You should test them both out if you can before you decide on one.
The CDJ-1000 has a 0.02% pitch resolution and on the S5000 (and the CDJ-800) it’s only 0.05%
The CDJ-1000 has a wave display showing graphically what the track looks like, the S5000 doesn’t have this and neither does the CDJ-800. I find the wave display very useful but others say they could take it or leave it; it partly depends on what kind of music you’re playing.
The S5000 is cheaper than the CDJ-1000 but more money than the CDJ-800.
I hope that answers some of your questions. If I think of something else I’ll post it.

Cheers.

JMJ

I received an email today from denon and there will be firmware upgrade coming out for the DN-S5000 so it can play mp3’s

A friend came round who has played on CDJ-1000’s in clubs and was totally amazed by the 5000, he said that the 5000 totally outclassed the 1000… he’s getting rid of his 500’s to get a pair… but thats just his preference

I think 5000 is a wicked deck I only ordered one because I want to have a go on a 800 before a get another deck but I honestly think that I'll end up with another 5000!!

Tone

DN-S5000

The real +++ point of the S5000 is it has 2 outputs. So it's just like two decks in one. I love mine to bits - but i'm biased obviously.

Does the S5000 have the memory functions that the CDJ-1000 does? Like storing cue points and loops for different CDs in memory?

thanks...

Has anyone here actually used one of these? On other forums, I have read that the "scratching emulation" is not as good as the CDJ-1000 is this true? Does the s5000 have the delay when pressing a cue point and then imediately scratching while it stores enough of that part of the song in memory to scratch? Has anyone seen a PDF of the owner's Manual? Does anyone know if a pioneer mixer with fader start will start the s5000?

thanks...

David

The Denon is a much more advanced player than the CDJ1000, feature-wise, but still the Pio wins with me (by a slight margin) for being a solid, no frills, in-your-face top deck.

Not to raise old ghosts and debates about the spinning platter, Denon never seem to do away with the confusing interface design, and I (IMHO) felt the 5000 suffering the same layout and operation flaws found on all their more advanced players such as the 2100, 2600 and 9000.

Which wouldn't be a problem except for the short-minded jocks like me but is rather limiting to pretty much any DJ who don't own a deck and has enough time and patience to practice and find way thoughout the submenus and multi-functions... Those who won't also be able to pre-program, load and take full advantage of some advanced features, unless they take their players to clubs and gigs.

Thing is, real life DJing is just too dark, smokey, noisy and fast-paced for cramped surfaces, short pitches, tiny displays and overloaded submenus! Same is happening to those huge DIM car stereos, makers are moving out from micro buttons and commands cuz you have to focus on driving, such as the DJ must focus on the performance rather than the equipment!

That's just MHO though...:p

I'm the proud owner of a DN-S5000 so take anything i say with a pinch of salt ;)
BUT for me, i had absolutely no cd deck experience before i got my Denon - never mixed with cds before in my life. I have got over 5 years experience with vinyl and consider myself a dab hand on a pair of Technics.
For me, the Denon couldn't be easier to use. First off you just slot a cd in, press play and away you go. What made it so easy for me was the interface. I could cue up + mix in exactly the same way as a vinyl deck.
What i mean is - if you had it in a club i can't see how anyone couldn't take to it easily if they had used vinyl before?
I'll admit the way the alpha track and secondary features work require decent knowledge of the unit - but for a straight on mix i found it amazingly easy (it was the first thing i did when i powered it up).
Also considering it's priced below a Cdj-1000 i think it's a good investment.

Tone said:
There is no delay when using the cue points..

I wasnt very clear about this..

It takes a couple of seconds to load the cue point/loop/start data.. once loaded there is no delay seeking the cue point etc also there is no delay saving...

Tone

are you saying that once you hit one of the hotstart buttons it takes a second, but once it does that the rest load fast, or are you saying that it takes a second once the CD is inserted to load the loops and cue points? have you ever used a cdj-1000? can you compare the two?

thanks...

David

Back