PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE: Please INSURE your gear ASAP!

B

BlueSkyGirl

My buddy had all of his gear stolen yesterday. He's a low-key guy who never pushes volume and barely invites anyone over but good friends. The theory is that they broke in looking for whatever they could find and of course saw all of his brand new wicked high-end gear and made off with it.

Brand new TTXs, EFX 500, brand new Numark cd decks and mixer, 3 other effects processors...

He called me weeping.

I am getting renters insurance TODAY; don't let it happen to you.

[\public service message]

BS nocleverendnotethisistooserious G

faaahking hell, what a bummer... yep, everyone - get insured now! if I lost my stuff I'd cry for three weeks and stop eating.

i think decks are held under house insurance if you have a record of their existance

Yeah, renter's insurance is always a good idea, and apparently not that expensive either (maybe a couple hundred a year which comes out to 20-30 a month). i never had it though, but now I own a house so I have the required homeowners insurance. Like anyone's going to steal my Gemmi xl-100s. :)

Haha i had those once. Pure sweetness.
:p

Now i have a new pdx.

Thread count saying i got a new turntable: 4

ouch that sounds horrible... never got renters insurance myself when in various apts., but thankfully homeowner's covers me now. thats just a damn shame... we should take up a collection =p

I started insuring my gear when i broke the $10,000 mark. For $30 a year, you can insure about $15K-$20K worth of gear. That $30 a year is worth it for my peace of mind. Don't get renters insurance. Just get insurance on your gear. If Jennifer Lopez can insure only her a$$, you can insure only your gear.

damn 10grand mark? wait... i guess thats only a couple grand more than ive spent on this gear... jeebus i didnt even notice i had spent that much! kinda creeps up on ya huh?

or maybe i just refused to admit to myself how much id spent on it, hehe

*starts clutching his chest as he thinks of all those moneys and toys gone*

Yeah, $10K sneaks up on you pretty fast. I pretty much spent that in 2 years. This last year I haven't bought much. But in the last week, I finally caved in and bought a Jomox Xbase09, and an EMU e5000 Ultra. I'm also going to buy another Waldorf Microwave XTk on the 15th. I sold mine about 1.5 years ago to buy a nord lead 2, and now I miss it. I couldn't afford to keep both at the time, but now I can.

well, now I see the point of being a mobile dj. they'll have to take you if they want the equipment ! (how's that for scoring wedding gigs..)

oh ****...
i was thinkin about it but never did anything about it.
well could some 1 start me off:
im in southampton (u.k)
wat r the good companies that do insurance in the u.k?
and wat r the prices like? i would want 2 insure about 3k worth of goods...
i dont know about all the house insurance thing... i just wanna get it 4 my equiptment...
thanks

Groovechampion,
Insuring 3K worth of gear will cost you next to nothing. In the states it only cost $30-40 a year to insure about $15K worth of gear. I'm guessing it would cost you about $10 a year.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
Yeah, $10K sneaks up on you pretty fast. I pretty much spent that in 2 years. This last year I haven't bought much. But in the last week, I finally caved in and bought a Jomox Xbase09, and an EMU e5000 Ultra. I'm also going to buy another Waldorf Microwave XTk on the 15th. I sold mine about 1.5 years ago to buy a nord lead 2, and now I miss it. I couldn't afford to keep both at the time, but now I can.

$10,000.00USD snuck up on me in just a few months.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
I started insuring my gear when i broke the $10,000 mark. For $30 a year, you can insure about $15K-$20K worth of gear. That $30 a year is worth it for my peace of mind. Don't get renters insurance. Just get insurance on your gear. If Jennifer Lopez can insure only her a$$, you can insure only your gear.

Wait a tick...I thought her whole body was insured @ like $1 billion. So I have heard some people figuring out quotes on what the cost of insuring just her a$$ would be, based on a guess of what weight her a$$ is. Only Ben Affleck could guess real well, now. Direct access to firmness-testing.

Hmm...

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!!!

i had $2000 worth of sound gear stolen at a gig last year, and my renter's insurance covered it all. yeah, that's right - even though it was outside of my house, at a gig, it was still covered. all i had to do was fax them a police report of the stolen stuff, and a list of the items & their values. viola, $2000 check a week later.

ya gotta get insurance... stuff gets stolen all the time and eventually it could happen to you. with insurance, you'll get the full value of your gear, NEW. i pay about $125 a year for $15,000 worth of coverage.

get insured!!!!

peace,
sim*n

Unfortunatly, I still live with my parents. Would my decks/computer equipment be covered under their home owners insurance? What exactly do you need to get insurance? Receipts?

Aww, BSG...that really sucks about your friend...

You did give me a scare, though...I saw the topic, and I'm like, "uh oh, did something happen to BSG's brand-spankin' new tables?"

Thanks for the head's-up...you got me thinkin' about getting insurance, no matter how small I think my town is. Got my window busted out and CD's stolen a few months back, and I didn't think that would ever happen...how stupid of me. I do live in the ghetto, though. (Cartman voice echoing: "In 'tha ghetto!")

Take care, people! :cheers:

punosion said:
Aww, BSG...that really sucks about your friend...

You did give me a scare, though...I saw the topic, and I'm like, "uh oh, did something happen to BSG's brand-spankin' new tables?"

Awww, sorry, din mean to scare ya! lol, thx for the concern tho :) Oh man, imagine? I prolly wouldn't even have been able to post about it for all the sobbing and fetal-position-rocking-back-and-forth-stuff...

I do live in the ghetto, though. (Cartman voice echoing: "In 'tha ghetto!")

rofl!

BS ghettoornotprotectthatgearyo! G

once again.... like car accidents and the common cold, it WILL happen to you one day.

be prepared for that day and get insured. imagine all your stuff GONE. that's the alternative. need i say more?

peace,
sim*n

Gah, and you know, the thing that sucked about getting my CD's stolen out of the back of mah' car was I had to get repairs done, which cost nearly 2/3 of the total cost of what was stolen.

I would have preferred it if they would have just banged on my door and said, "We're gonna' steal your ish, unlock your car!"

Back