Pro Dj With A Computer... eh?!

D

Dj LoCo

what up all. I have a question regarding my computer and external mixers, amps, soundcards and speakers. I have a dell p4 running XP with 512mb ram, and I like using BPM 4.6 for playing and mixing mp3's. I plan on getting 2 JBL SF-25's and a CROWN or QSC 800 watt (@ 4ohms) amp and a Maya-44 internal sound card. My question is: 1) will i need a mixer and have to connect the output from the soundcard on my computer, then to the mixer, then to the amp and speakers, or, 2) Can I just run 1/4 connectors from the output on the soundcard to the amp/speakers? BMP Pro 4.6 has volume setting for all channels (player A, player B, monitor, main, etc), a mixer and an equalizer... so it seems rather awkward that i would need a mixer to do what the program can. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the program, but if it allows you to do all your mixing and stuff on it, then yes, you can just plug the output of your sound card directly into your amp.

You could just run the soundcard directly from the computer into the amp and then into the speakers, and use BPM Pro as your mixer, but if BPM pro supports it you could also run the output of the players through seperate soundcards and into a mixer then into the amp. Then you'd be using the mixer to mix with, but instead of Turntables you'd have BPM running the music... I'm pretty sure Traktor 2.0 will let you do that, and possibly PCDJ, but I'm not familiar with BPM... When I get back to my apartment I plan on mixing with 2 TT's and setting it up to run output from at least one of my soundcards into my mixer and use it like a 3rd turntable :)... Well... thats the plan at least, and I'm pretty sure it'll work, but I haven't tried it yet... Anybody have any other suggestions/expierience doing this???

two soundboards and a mixer would be preferable...

it's easier to control the faders and EQ's when they are actual hardware, and a good mixer's EQ's will almost certainly sound more natural and have a better effect.

if you do want to use only BPM, as long as the soundboard's output is compatible with the amp, you should be all set.

since the crown and QSC amps have level controls, as long as the soundboard's level output is decently high, you'll have no problems. i dont see that being an issue.

as far as a patch cable, i'm assuming the soundboard has a 1/8" stereo jack - just get or make a cable that breaks the 1/8" stereo jack into two male 1/4" mono phone plugs and patch into the amp. set the amp's level such that when you max out the PC's volume controls, it's as loud as you'll want it to be, then reduce on the PC from there.

cheers,
-mer

Back