Ms. Pinky vs. Serato Scratch

Beatbreakyaface

I'm jumping into turntablism with a pair of technics. I want to use it in conjunction at times with ableton 8 and/or fl studio 10 to be able to scratch what ever sound file I want. I'm going to eventually learn intricate scratch patterns. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both. If someone can explain it to me, I'd really appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Could everybody stop front'n on me, I can't find a definitive answer for this. I'd really appreciate a repsonse.

If you want to add scratches into your beats/production i think Deckadance that comes with FL Studio would be great since it can be inserted as VSTi in sync with FL.
You can use timecoded vinyl with Deckadance but im not sure if Ms. Pinky is the best for this.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

i think im going for the Ms. Pinky vinyls as well for Deckadance.

If you just want to be able to scratch sounds from your computer than any of the major digital vinyl systems would work fine. Traktor and Serato seem to be the most popular these days but there are a bunch out there to choose from.

I can't comment on Ms. Pinky but I've owned Serato for 3+ years and love it. It comes pretty bare bones compared to Traktor but it's the industry standard for djing. It's been extremely reliable for me. I used to use Torq which crashed regularly.

Serato also has the bridge with Ableton which is fun to mess around and has a lot of cool creative potential if you ever wanted to integrate the two. I've heard you can wire Ms. Pinky into Ableton if you have Max4Live though which might be something to look into.

There are know weaknesses in scratching once you know how to perform all the different types of scratches...

I agree with the fact that all vinyl emulation programs can yield similar results once you develop the proper skills and knowledge to use the program. I will say however that serato and traktor are the most widely used and therefore have large resource pools for information as well as many people that use them so you may have an advantage in attacking the learning curve.

Especially since you will have to spend quite a bit of time learning how to work within Ableton or Fruity Loops to get proper sounding recordings/mixes.

Back