Mixer?

TragikMuzak

OK, I have decided that I am going to purchase a new mixer. I am using a Roland Dj2000 right now, and It just isnt working out for me.

I need it to sound clean and bumpy. I spin house/techno and I do long, agressive mixes. The eq's have got to be rock solid as well as the faders (unlike my roland).

Overall, I need something that sounds really good, for live use and recording. I also need something durable. I dont care about built in efx anymore, I can always pick up an efx 500.

I am familiar with almost every mixer on the market, but I need advice from people who have used them.

I was thinking about getting a PMC-250 with an efx 500, what do you guys think about that. Any other ideas?

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and recommend the xone 62. this mixer just fits the bill for what you want:

rock solid faders
smokin eq section
built like a tank
superior sound quality

the voltage controlled filters are just the icing on the cake IMHO. i don't know how much you want to spend, so the 62 may not be an option, but give it a look. if you like what you see, do some serious research on this piece of gear to make sure it's right for you. - jeff h

Trust me, I would love one, but I really cant afford a mixer like that, but at the same time, my Roland is considered a top-end mixer, so I dont want to go down from what i have.

TTM-56? Not purposebuilt for mixing, but a rock solid, great sounding mixer with an awesome EQ section. Rane gains are insane too, so you can always mix with those also...
-Peasant Nikon

Ive used a PMC250 out at a club in chicago. Its nice. The fader curve is much tighter, almost good for scratching but terrible for mixing, thats because you can get ROTARY knobs instead of vertical faders! The mixer lacks any sort of send/return facility so i would reccomend the PVC-275 for effects (but not scratching cause it has a very shallow fader. )Its got quite a bit of headroom and probably sounds better than your average dj mixer but i couldn't tell on thier $h!tty sound system. The Isolators rock with those mini-sliders and the headphone preamp is loud and clear. Ive only used the older VCA version not the new PVC one, but i would imagine it is the same.

Besides the shallow fader curve i cant think of any reason not to move to the PVC-275. I actually hear good things about this mixer from hardcore techno guys. The effects sends are great and are pre/post selectable. The vertical faders are smooth and can be swapped with rotary knobs. Maybe you might wanna consider getting the new PMC-500 when it comes out. It has just about everything you could ever ask for and is probably the sucessor to the pmc55.

of course when in doubt.

rane, A&H, so on and so on...

Last edited:
I can get a vestax 270 for 250 bucks brand new. I think that is a steal, plus I have heard only great things about this mixer. Otherwise it looks like i would sell out and get a DJM600 or 500.

Which mixer has better sound quality
270 or the 500?

I would defenitely get an efx500 to go along with it. It seems like that would be the better idea

Otherwise it looks like i would sell out and get a DJM600 or 500
i can't speak on the vestax, but why would you buy a 600 over an xone 62? seriously, what you were asking for above is exactly how i felt before i got mine (and that's after owning a 600). unless you've got a rediculous deal on a 600, you can get an xone for the same money. - jeff h

The PMC 500 probably has the best sound quality in terms of a vestax (which is generally well above average) but its an install mixer. It most likely has the outputs on the bottom not recessed on the back. Im guessing its prices comprable to the rane mp44. Guessing... $1100 said and done.

the EFX-500 rocks, of course i love my Red Sound FX Pro too.

Dynagroove...

Whats wrong with Pioneer? So not everyone is tired of those cheesy effects yet but did i missing something?

Chrispy said:
The PMC 500 ... most likely has the outputs on the bottom not recessed on the back. Im guessing its prices comprable to the rane mp44. Guessing... $1100 said and done.

I'm guessing that all connections will be in the usual place, as the only Vestax with the connections at the bottom is the R-1.
As for pricing, certain sources have told me that the RRP will be around $1199 but street price probably down to around $899.
Either way, I'd still go for an Xone 62. I have a PMC270 at home, and while it does its job well in my living room, an Xone is always preferrable. As is a Rane, Urei or Bozak mixer in terms of sound quality.

Dynagroove...
Whats wrong with Pioneer? So not everyone is tired of those cheesy effects yet but did i missing something?
Chrispy - i'm not dissing the 600. i own one and i love it. i think it's a very solid, fun and reliable mixer. the xone just fit the bill exactly for what Tragik was looking for. so you're a red sound fan too? after i got my federation pro, the effects section on the 600 just falls way short. - jeff h

Unless the vestax is a 19" rack mount, then I seriously doubt the connections will be on the bottom.

Also, where do you get a 600 for $550? That sounds REALLY cheap.
-Peasant Nikon

Dynagroove,

I know your not dissing Pio, i was just wondering there some outstanding issues about the 600 that i havent heard about. Maybe i was having a bad day and came out sounding malicious.

Cause you see...

Ive been trying to find the perfect mixer myself. I'm ****ing hating it. Its driving me crazy.
No one has the perfect mixer. No one.

Im looking for something with pre and post and supreme quality. But i like how the pioneer lets you use the Send/Rtn like a channel insert cause i have an electrix filter factory. I was thinking to do a djm3000 so i can carry my ElectrixFF in the rack always using it like a A&H filter on steroids and have some crappy built in efx for gigs when i dont feel like bring out the big guns but im not sure how good the send/return is. Im sure you've used it. Give me your prognosis. I hear it has low headroom.

BTW Im loving my Red Sound. Its got so much too it, i still havent gotten round to tweaking it to the extremes. I dont have that sort of studio setting to get into the step programming/ midi side of things yet, but i love the superkill function, it really makes old sounds new and fresh. Another question i have is have you ever gotten yours updated? I understand they update the bpm reader. Im trying to get a rack kit if you can tell me where you got yours that would help, but thats not such a big deal.

BTW Tragic you might wanna get like a XSFX (they are selling cheap) or a federation pro in addition or in place of an EFX.

Last edited:
Chrispy, i bought my Federation used a while ago. the guy i bought it from assured me that he had just updated the firmware. when was the last time you've heard of an update? as for the rack kit - damn! i wish you had asked that about 2 months ago. musiciansfriend was selling the rack kit for the darkstar for $10. i bought one and it fits the Federation perfectly. they don't have any right now. keep checking though as some may show back up in stock. at least you know you can look for the darkstar rack kit now.

i am pretty happy with the send/return on the 600, i'm sure the 3000 is similar if not the same circuitry. you could also do the same (and even more) with the xone 62. i haven't done this, but theoretically you could run both your electrix and red sound boxes on different channels via the aux circuit. - jeff h

The 3000 doesn't have a sampler though...
IMHO, the sampler on the 600 is poor at best. if someone was considering 2 mixers and the sampler was that one extra thing that pushed them towards the 600, i would urge them to go and personally try it out. if they are happy with it, great. compared to the cloops, the 600 sampler is useless to me. - jeff h

oh, btw - Lead - welcome to FP :D !

Last edited:
Yea 8 seconds is damn useless, they should have figured that out when they released it, but thats fine. I have Dn-s5000s, plus id rather have the rotary knobs.

Dynagroove,

I think by using a Y-cable and spliting the AUX signal and then plug one effector out in channel 1 and the other into 2 you could run two of the same board. Does the zone62 have a sharp fader curve though?

Last edited:
Back