A minor question-Technics tonearm lock

T

T-1000

Apologies for this being a rather insignificant post, but it's something that has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now.

Can someone please explain to me the tonearm lock mechanism on Technics decks. I realise its function is to lock the tonearm in at the set height, but on a couple of occasions i've accidentally adjusted the height while the lock has been engaged, only to find that the mechanism moves just as easily regardless of whether or not the lock is on. This has worried me a little, as i fear i may have damaged/loosened the tonearm apparatus.

Please put my mind at rest!!

Thanks.

lock

are you talking about the height locking mechanism or the plastic lock that keeps the tonearm from moving? the height lock is designed to be a friction lock to keep the height from being adjusted (bumped) inadvertently. does the lock still work? or is the adjustment equally as loose with the lock on or off. if there is any tension in the locked position i'd say you are ok and haven't done any damage. otherwise, you can always take the deck apart and find out what makes it tick :D - jeff h

Are you talking about the the switch that either lowers or picks up the tonearm, depending on with way you flick it? Locatted at the based of the tonearm. If this is what you mean, then its just used for picking the arm up without touching it. Try putting the arm down manually on a record then puching the switch up, it will pick up the arm and set it down kinda like hydrolicis. But then again i just have some geminis pt2400s alot like technics but not exactly so maybe its something diffrent.

Back