I need advice on the most basic setup to mix songs and add effects.

thrilla cam

Hi guys,

Im hoping you can give me some advice on a rudimentary setup.

What I basically wanna start doing is mixing songs together, (my main styles are reggae, dub and gfunk)
and adding little effects throughout the mix, such as short vocal/ hook samples, laser dub siren style sounds (maybe even using a cheap dub siren) the little sci-fi bloops and echos of classic reggae dub etc.

Then burning the mixes to cd, or Im even happy to record it to cassettes, because I still love my old tapes hehe.

Importantly i wanna do this without a computer, beyond maybe burning the mix with a pc at the end.

I dont need super high quality, just the cheapest most basic setup to do the above.
Thanks in advance, and god bless.

Get a Standalone CD burner, Digital Recorder, or Minidisc recorder. Run everything to them to record like you would a tape deck.

EDIT: guess I read wrong with your response to other's advice. Sounds like you're gonna wan a set of turntables and a mixer. CD Turntables will do just fine.

Last edited:
hey thanks Osama :D your input is much appreciated.

so something like this:

-dual Cd/mp3 player (i can go without cd, and just use mp3 is thats going to be cheaper)
-mixer
-recorder (can i just record to home stereo to save money and not buy one?)

do u think it can be done for less than $200. and how can you add little effects over the mix without the recorder.
Looking on some websites its doesnt look promising though, but maybe u guys know where the get better deals.

^^^It's going to depend on exactly what you have already. You can absolutely just record directly to the home stereo. If I were being cheap, though, I'd still record directly to my computer so I easily have the ability to edit. I can't see how recording to Audacity would be any weight on your workflow different than recording to a tape deck or CD burner/digital recording device. you'd never have to touch any of these things beyond a record button before starting and a stop button after finishing.

As for the "under $200" issue, I think most DJ tools that will fit your needs start around $500-600(I'm no expert on DJ equipment, have some, but not my main dept.)and you'll still need to buy a couple MP# players or hook it up to your PC to feed audio.

Use your computer, it is going to be worlds cheaper, more streamlined process and you already have it so why wouldn't you?

Grab a Numark Mixdeck Pro for under $200 easily (I got mine for about $135 (USD)) and you are set as long as you have a good set of headphones or monitor speakers. If not then invest in some, quality monitors are money as are good headphones so start saving up for one or the other and make do with what you can for now.

With the computer you can use pretty much anything you want to make music through sampling, sound packs or just raw creation (a pan and something to beat it with can make a rhythm). You can make this as expensive as you want at the start and get a lot of neat gear without making a single tune, but if you work with what you have and hit it's limits you will go a lot further creatively.

Yo Nightshade, I appreciate what your saying but I work on computers ALL day, and cant bare to sit there when I get home and wanna relax.

What do u think of getting something like this:
"DJ Tech U2 STATION All-in-One Mixing Solution for USB Hard Drive with Effects and Scratch" cost $330 new.

Just an example, but would this be a good solution?

The Numark set, absolutely, but that price seems too good to be true. Again, DJ equipment isn't my "know all" department. But I'd easily think that was a $1400 retail set to the least. Could be way off though.

all up, from when i searched the model numbers, its maybe $500 all up, so not that big of a difference.

once thing about that Numark setup, is the Numark iM1 Mixer (mixer in the middle) redundant?
also, how would you add little effects such as laser sounds, and other small samples?

I know that djing isnt your department but you obviously have a pretty good idea.

I really appreciate your help dude.

You're gonna have to add a sampler unless the mixer supports fx. But that's "pennies" as far as music is concerned. A Gemni or boss sampler will run you $30-80. I may be confusing the mixer with a different version, but I'm pretty sure it can sample. gimme a second to check.

But where can I find samplers that cheap? I tried on google, but their all much more expensive.

Truly appreciate your replies.

Last edited:
Just checked, I guess with DJing being popular now, prices on used samplers have gone up. I did see a gemini mixer with built in sampler for $65, but not sure that was trustworthy. Once upon a time you coulda found an SP202 for under $100(know because I own one)that's all you need. It's starting to look like you're gonna either have to shell out more money or integrate with a computer.

I honestly thought we'd have DJs on this site to chime in, sorry I haven't been much help.

The only truly "affordable" way is computer integration especially when discussing a couple hundred bucks as your investment cap.

I have a pair of Gemini turntables and an first gen Kaoss pad I had bought all new and was in it about $500 or so at that. This didn't include quality needles, patch cords, amp and speakers (already had most of that except needles) but I figure that would easily be another $300+ added onto the bill. Then you would need a stack of wax to use with them.

Samplers are gold right now and the more affordable options are computer integrated such as the Akai Professional at $400 as oposed to a stand alone like the MPC1000 which is at $600 new and around $400 used. Again this doesn't include a lot of items you will need but a set of headphones can get you in the door up until you want to do the mastering or packaging...then back to the computer.

Not trying to be argumentative here, I too want to spend less time in front of the computer but all the options for me say integration will get you a lot more bang for your buck.

(example)I used to do photography for magazines when I started I was shooting on film and always met my deadlines, but I had to pay for developing (for color film) then scan negatives, sort them, photoshop them and package for delivery. I finally was forced to go digital and it cut my process in half in regards to time and the only money I spent converting was the purchase of the camera body. Once I switched I kicked myself in the ass for not doing it years earlier when my publisher was asking me to.

Back