Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Save Bent Records?

sshimosawa is offline Registered User

How To Save Bent Records?

Sign in to disable this ad
    We've all done it. We all hate it.

Got home from the record store, threw some vinyl on, waiting for that killer break - to scratch/ blend/ mix into your next track. And BAM, you realize that the record is freaking bent - you back cue - hoping - that you didnt just fight for this last copy, and your sad prediction comes true. Now what do you do? The hand bendy method works for slightly bent vinyl, but rarely keeps.

Anyone know the formula for FLATTENING vinyl?

Over the years, people have told me their own methods. Some work, some do not. Just curious if there are any more.....

infradead is offline Moderator
    do a search on this forum...
    look up "warped vinyl"

there's a lot of stuff on here about it...
    search function is at the bottom right of the screen
    My subculture can kick your subculture's ass anytime anywhere
    24/7
    Modular Synth: . doepfer 6u and monster base

Carnage is offline Moderator

Peasant Nikon is offline Insane FP Patriot
    My friendly mailman bent one of mine in a circle to fit in the mailbox, and it somehow reversed what was described as a "slight warp".
    A more conservative route would be to try to heat it with a hairdryer and bend it a little or put it in the over. I started to try the latter method but stopped when I read on and discovered that if you screw up, your house may smell like vinyl. I determined that it would be an experiment best tried in someone else's place when they were not around, and you can simply deny any knowledge of it if something goes wrong .
    -Peasant Nikon

deejv is offline Senior Member
    i thought if u heat it up, it'll mess up the grooves badly, not sure though

anyways, i need a full proof method. alot of my records are warped, don't know why. but i've tryed to put it under a bunch of weight, and it didnt' seem to do ANYTHING. i put it under all my school books for 3 days, and no results.

any other ways???????

SoEasy is offline Senior Member
    Fixing warped records????

Check my method. Bend it around your belly.
    Push the boundries by sharing the knowledge.

sshimosawa is offline Registered User
    Wow. It has been discussed before. Mediator, kill this thread if you'd like. Sorry.

But for those of your reading, DO NOT try the oven method. Because of the differentials in vinyl, acetate, weight, pressing - there are too many variables to get an accurate read. I've cooked a stack of records trying to get it right, and at the end of the day, realized that it varies according to record. The blow dryer and belly idea are quite good.

gene-pool is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Wow. It has been discussed before. Mediator, kill this thread if you'd like. Sorry.
    haha don't worry about it man! If we started to delete all new threads that were discussed before we'd have a site of articles, not a forum. Besides, FP gets lots of new members all the time so you might get new feedback when asking the question again.

-Gene

infradead is offline Moderator
    yeah!

its seems like all we do is talk about the same things and answer the same questions.... i never really seem to get tried of doing it though.... usually learn a few new things and i remember asking the same questions before i knew the answers....
    heck, some questions we're still arguing about the answers
    My subculture can kick your subculture's ass anytime anywhere
    24/7
    Modular Synth: . doepfer 6u and monster base

dj /-/2o is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Haha exactly Infradead. I bet if there was a count there are some topics with 25 threads started on them or more. But we love it.

To fix my slightly warped vinyl I just bent it in my hands.
    Seems to work sometimes.
    I don't trust many other methods. But then again I don't have like unplayable bent records.

But what seems to work in my head, haha, would be to hairdryer the MIDDLE of the record, and then work on getting it flat. That way you don't screw up the grooves but still might get the right flattening. Maybe it just depends on how your record is bent.

:cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information