EFX hook up, Phono or line?

H

Hypnotized

Hello everybody, I have a question regarding connecting my efx units to each turntable. I have 3 right now. Im using the Pioneer efx 500 on one deck and redsound xsfx on the other, and an alesis air fx through the master. My question is that if I connect the T.T. in to the efx unit and run the output into a line in on my mixer would that be bad? I tried to run it through the phono but the sound quality was bad. The xsfx by redsound has a phono input and thats were the tt is connected and grounded but I dont know if that by connecting the output of the efx to a line in is bad. I also have my other tt connected to my pioneer whch only has line in/out and the tt is connected to the line in but grounded to the mixer and the output is going to the phono in. This is the way I have it now, and the sound quality is fine but my question to you is will it damage any of my equipment? The reason for me connecting the efx seperately rather than daisy chaining them is so I can apply different efx during a mix and so on.

interesting...

you should not damage any of your equipment that way...

however don't plug any of your fx into a phono in as that will run it through a phono pre-amp and mess up the sound...

why not look into getting a mixer with and fx loop?

i think it'd be a lot simpler and be able to do what you want....

must be fun to play with!! :cheers:

Thank You for replying, but I have another question, if the turn table is plugged into a line in shouldnt the output go into a phono? I really dont understand the technical part of Lines and Phonos and thats why I ask this. The pioneer is the one that is going to the phono in on the mixer I did this because I just figured since it has a tt plugged into the line that it would need to be plugged into a phono but I will plug it into a line in and see what happens. The sound quality is fine now but again I just want to take the right precautions for whatever is best for the equipment. Thanks again. By the way I love these efx processsors. I have had the pioneer for about 2 years and just got the redsound last week. Both are excellent machines and work really well .

The only time you should ever use the PHONO input is when you are coming direct from a turntable. All fx processors output at line level. RIAA/PHONO is not just a super quiet version of the sound either, it is equilized funny, so you need make sure you always plug your turntables into a PHONO input and everything else into a LINE input.

So you would say that the way I have my efx connected would not be a good idea. The pioneer only has line in and out and I only hear sound if I plug the output of the pioneer to the input of the phono on the mixer. No sound is distorted or anything like that and everything is clear so I dont know what to do. This is the way I want this to be set up but if its bad then I will change it.
Thanks for the reply's.

you need to get a phono pre-amp for the TT that runs into the pio then go into a line in on the mixer. that way all your signals will be line level and you'll have no problems..

i think.... :D

Back