Ecler manufacturing mixers for Tascam?!

catnap

Major Label Whore
i heard recently that Ecler, makers of the HAK and SMAC pro series mixers, also manufactures mixers for Tascam; specifically their XS-4 and XS-8 scratch mixers.

xs4.jpg

xs8.jpg

they definately look exactly like Ecler HAK mixers... so is this true? if so, why is this not more commonly known?

peace,
sim*n

woah, they DO look like them!

the faders are pretty poor tho in the short experience i have of them

That was brought up in some angry X9 thread from a while back. It does seem to be true. At least aesthetically they are literally identical (sans the color and logo).

BTW: funk, you're not liking your HAK? :confused:

-Gene

I think tascam licensed the design, not sure if ecler manufactures them though. They have been around for at least a year or two.

Ecler HAK-320:
P0036050B.jpg

Tascam XS-8:
P0040327B.jpg

Ecler HAK-300:
P0036049B.jpg

Tascam XS-4:
P0040326B.jpg

gentlemen, i rest my case.

peace,
sim*n

Last edited:
I read somewhere a while back on Harmony Central after maybe last years NAMM when the Ecler ans Tascam's came out that Ecler is doing the production for Tascam. It was a comment from somebody that looked a the serial number code and they had like an identical serial number layout and country code. Strange. It doesn't say anywhere on either companies websites who's doing what for who. ??????

didnt get the hak in the end :mad:

the store were so damn inefficient about it, i cancelled the order

oh, and i was talkin bout the tascam faders, the hak still absolutely kicks british arse imo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
muahahahaha!!! i guess i've really uncovered a right cracking mystery here! who will solve it for us????

i've checked Tascam's website and their forums, and not a peep about Ecler....

peace,
sim*n

yes tascam's performance scratch mixers are manufactured by ecler. or they were. the last time i heard they had licensed the design and had intended to produce them in their own factories. i'm not sure whether that ended up happening. a damn good mixer at a damn good price. the RRP may be slightly more but you will get them for less. i do believe this allows ecler to get their product into a larger global market without having to establish the distribution and warranty infrastructure they would otherwise have to establish.. sure they will establish it anyway, but nothing on the scale of TEAC

I thought this was quite common knowledge. The hak's are OEM'ed to Tascam who rebadge them (and make them a lot uglier IMO).
Although i have heard quite a few reports of crappy faders - so maybe they have used cheaper faders instead to keep the costs down a bit.
You'd be better off getting a Hak 300 or 320 now as the prices seemed to have dropped quite a bit with the arrival of the 310 and 360.

well, then why are the Tascam's more expensive than the HAK's? also, can anyone tell us for sure whether Tascam changes the faders?

currently i see absolutely no reason to buy a Tascam XS-8, or XS-4 other than the brand name, which isn't exactly top rated for their DJ gear.

peace,
sim*n

I would suspect the faders are the same as the Haks to be honest. Yeah it's a bit of a silly situation. I think the problem is that although Ecler have proved themselves in the mixer department, many (uninformed) people are still quite reluctant to buy them.
Someone also told me the only real difference is that the cut switches in the XS-4 and XS-8 are not rotatable.

Back