Differences between Kaoss Pad & Effects Processor?

1900hustla

Hey whats up? I have my dj det up and want to add effects. I am interested in either a multi-effects processor or a Kaoss Pad but dont know the difference between the two other than what i read on sites that are selling them(and that isnt too helpful in knowing other than what it does). Does anyone have either of these and if so would you recommend it to others? Also as a newbie i am interested to know what effects can you get out of these. I visited a turntable store in NYC and they didnt have too mucj input on this, so i am coming to you guys...... Thanx

if you're talking about 19" rack mount multi effects. (which is to me what it sounds like) then they are mainly used for studio applications. they arent setup for live work. the kaoss pad in a true sense is also a multi effects unit but its been designed to operate in a live dj environment.

the Kaoss pad is a cheap digital FX unit / sampler with a very innovative user interface.

the basic principle behind all FX is to warp the sound - reverbs and echoes make the sound appear to be bouncing around a large room, delays cause the sound to echo over and over again, flanges and phasors give music that airplane "whooshing" sound, and filters remove or enhance certain frequencies, much the way you can turn the treble or bass wayyy down or way up.

Fx units come in two flavors - digital or analogue. the analogue kind uses circuits and wires, while the digital kind uses computer chips to mimic the sounds of analogue machines. analogue units have a rougher, more extreme and unique sound while the digital kind have a smoother, cleaner, but less spectacular sound. digital FX are usually much easier to control, and cost a lot less than analogue machines. Kaoss pads, Alesis Air FX, and the Pioneer DJM mixers all use digital FX systems.

so you have 3 choices in front of you:

1. analogue or digital? (discussed above)

2. what kind of control interface?

typically, FX units are controlled by several knobs which select the effect, the parameters of that effect, and the amount of the effect being used. alternatives to the traditional knob interface include the Kaoss finger-touch pad, the Alesis Air FX, and the Red Sound XS-FX which uses faders & a joystick.

3. how big?

FX units can vary in size from the size of a CD case (the ART FX-1) to large 19" rackmount units like the Electrix series.

all in all i reccomend you get a simple, small machine that has Delay, Reverb, Flange, and Filter on it. these are the basic FX you hear all the time. it will take you a few weeks or even months to get your head around the principles and implementation of FX, but once you do, it adds a wonderful new dimension to your DJ'ing. also, by keeping it small and simple, you'll be able to take you FX unit to gigs.

peace,
sim*n

Any preference between the Kaoss pad 2 and the Red Sound XS-FX ? I am interested in both, but I can't decide on which one? does anyone have experience in both of these and can help me make a informed choice?

thanks..

i've never used a Kaoss pad, but i LOVE my Red Sound XS-FX:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread/threadid/23995

the Kaoss pad has gotten a lot of attention over the last 2 years, but most of the pro DJ's i'm friends with don't like it. i haven't met anyone who swears by one, and i have met quite a few people who sold theirs after 6-12 months.

i think it's a novelty toy with mediocre sound quality. after messing around with different FX units for a few years, the XS-FX has impressed me with the best overall sound. also, it is controlled with a pair of faders and a joystick that i got used to VERY QUICKLY.

by the way, using effects properly is as much about timing and musical sense than it is about having a cool FX box to play with.

peace,
sim*n

ive used both and tbh the KP2 owns the xsfx both in capabilities and application. i really rate the kaoss pad highly. its the favoured toy of most of the pro dj's i know. i want to upgrade my kp1 to a kp2 soon

Back