Cd player suggestions.

G

gene-pool

I've been thinking about it forever but never actually did much about it so I'm looking into finally buying a pair of cd decks. The ones I'm considering are:

Pioneer
CMX-3000
CDJ-700 x2

The pair of 700s comes out cheaper but I'm more interested in which is better and why because the price difference isn't so great.

Also, should I be considering the cdj-100's? How do they compare to the other two I mentioned?

BTW does any one know if the pitch fader on the CMX3k is 60mm and 100mm on the CJD-700?

Thanks!
:cheers:
-Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the 700 has a pitch resolution beyond .1, so that may be a turnoff for you right away.

Last edited:
The 700 is quite an old deck.

The 3000 has a lot more features and has newer drives.

Also the 3000 has the wave display thingy which it bloody handy.

Finally, the 3000 only needs one plug socket!!

I was never a big fan of the CDJ 700, but after using the CMX-3000, I would definately recommond you go for that between the two. The CDJ 100 has the same resolution problem as the 700, and the effects on it are not very useful. The 3000 has a much nicer layout in my opinion, and I must admit that I like the wave display although it is nothing like vinyl. The 3000 has twice as much pitch resolution at +/-6%, but the fader is only 60mm. I am not sure how long the 700's is, but it is at least 100mm in lengh. The 3000 does everything that the 700 does and a lot more. I also think that the rack format is much nicer than the individual CD tables. The loading on the 700 is also a pain in the ***, and it takes way too long in my opinion. I am not sure if it is shorter on the 3000, but it sure seemed like it to me.
-Peasant Nikon

could you someone provide some feedback about the Pitch resolution across the various CD players?...I was looking into purchasing cd player unit Pio or Denon and a couple of things I noticed...

The CMX3000 is the only Pioneer CD player the has Pitch Bend >Buttons<...like Denon and Numark dual cd players...and Denons basically have the Pitch Bend +/- Buttons...of course all have the Slider...the PIO CDJs only have the >wheel< to Pitch Bend

...I have a question somewhere around here....

1. what is the Pitch Bend >resolution< on these various CD players.....0.05, 0.01?...which is more accurate when you bend +/-

CMX3000
Denon 2100F/2600F
CDJ800/1000

2. which would you guys consider more accurate...using the Denon Bend +/- buttons or the Pioneer >wheel<

3. which would be the better choice between the CMX3000, Denon 2100F, 2600F....I have this Pioneer dealer that will sell me a CMX3000 for $650.00 shipped >after< $100 Rebate...

thanks in advance for any feedback...:cheers:

The CDJ 1000 has 0.02 at +/- 6% and 0.05 at 10%.

The CMX3000 has 0.05 at 6% too.

All the other decks I am aware of have 0.1 resolution, but that's pretty much enough for long mixes.

I'm currently testing the new Pio 555 (the multimedia deck that reads CD and SD cards) and it has 0.05 at +/- 6%, but the numbers on the display are too small - and the display is very busy too, making it hard to read all the info about what's going on. To add insult, it's also a bit too hard to preciselly adjust the pitch to these 0.05 small increments, even with the long, 100mm pitch rule. Which is a shame IMHO.

Going back to the topic, I for my part would prefer the CMX3000 - besides being a newer design and system, it has more advan ced features too, like the hot starts ( 3 per deck) and the auto loop, adding to a nice list of wave reading, scratch (usefull for backspins and such at most...) and the cool slot-in disc mechanism, which IMHO is a top feature.

Other important features were listed by other guys here so it's easy to figure out which is more advanced and has more bag-for-the buck at offer!

;)

Alex, thanks for the info...

btw if any of you guys are ever in Miami, FL....consider checking out the >New< Club Space34...it tops the original Club Space and is the only club in the South East USA with the clout to bring Deep Dish, Danny Tenaglia, Tiesto on a quaterly basis...among other world class DJs...plus it has a 24 hour liquor license and Saturday Nights usually don't end until Sunday afternoon 2:00pm in the Patio Sunrise Sessions...this is about as close to Space Club in Ibiza that you can get in the States!...although nothing in the world tops Manumission Mondays at Club Privilege in Ibiza...that night is a site to behold for any electronic music fan!!!

thanks again for the info, looks like I may consider the CMX3000

Just so you know, the denon dn d9000 has a pitch resolution of .05 like the pioneer cmx 3000. it has a hell of a lot more features tho. 4 hot starts per drive, onboard efx and other feature. ive owned the pioneer cdj 1000 and the pitch res of .02 is cool but probably not a big dif, only thing i mis is the wave display(shyt is hella handy at times). im happy with my denon and it nicely compliments my tables.

Drunken is right, the 9000 also has supperior resolution (0,05%)... and yeah, overall the Denon is more feature-packed and more advanced than the CMX. A nice double deck to consider...

uhhhh call me a hater but duuuuuude.....

GET FINAL SCRATCH!!!!!! forget about "emulating" the feel of vinyl... plus you can hot-load CD's right into Final Scratch so you don't have to worry about not being able to play a CD someone brings you during a set.

aaaand it's much more portable than a CD deck.

peace,
sim*n

Wow, this thread is pretty old huh? Well, a lot has changed since I asked the question and even though I've not yet gotten cd decks I don't think I would get anything other than a pair of dn-s5000's/dn-d9000 or a final scratch system.

-Gene

Back