BPM counters...

C

cosmique

How they work? For example, there is a bpm counter built into Pioneer DJM-300 mixer, so I'd like to know how presise and reliable are this kind of counters. (Just starting to mix, sorry) By the way, is it a good mixer (pio)? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the DJM 500 since the beginning of the year and the BPM counter isn't bad... What I do when I'm mixing is get it as close as possible by ear and then use the counter to check myself... This method has worked for me extremely well, and my beatmatching gets better everyday, and on most mixes now I don't have to even check myself I can just hear I'm right... But I definately try not to rely on it to much, as I want to be able to mix without them if I ever have to... And I would definately say that I LOVE my 500... (although it is my first mixer and I don't have anything to compare to... :p)

Take care,

Brad

No matter how good the bpm counter is at doing its job they are horrible little devices you should never use, do it all by ear! Even when you're starting out, it will just slow down the learning process. If you have a mixer with a bpm counter the first thing you should do is put tape over the display so you can't see it.

I've played on the DJM500 and the DJM600 and those are real nice mixers. I don't know how the DJM300 is but I would assume it doesn't suck.

My favorite mixers are the Rane Empath and the A&H Xone32 though! But those are a bit out of the price range of the 300. ;)

There is a built in computer that calculates the bpm on the DJM300 (so Im told). Ive just sold my 300 and have to say it is a damn fine mixer. The bpm counters are very accurate though you should realise that they cant calculate anything unless there is a beat ie: not during breaks etc. and it had major trouble with calculating DnB.

Never use the bpm for actually beat matching coz if you rely on it, and then use a mixer without bpm calc you'll be stuffed, plus the ear is a thousand times more accurate. I had my 300 for 2-3 years and never once used the bpm calc, it was only there to flash numbers.

My favorite mixers are the Rane Empath and the A&H Xone32 though

What do you like about the Xone32 so much?

Thank you very much! Actually I think that you should learn without bpm counters, by ear. The problem is that I tried to do that but was so damn hard for me.... well, thanks anyway!

Carnage said:

What do you like about the Xone32 so much?

Sound quality, build quality, good EQs with a nice curve, the filter is very good and you can do some nice tricks and smooth mixes with it. It is not the most feature-loaded mixer in the world but it is a joy to play on. Only thing I dislike are the short channel meters, but you get used to it.

The DJMs are nice too, but I hate the fx. I think they sound cheesey, they're horribly overused, and they are very intrusive on the sound of the track. If I hear the flanger one more time somebody is going to get hurt.

TheAgent said:

The DJMs are nice too, but I hate the fx. I think they sound cheesey, they're horribly overused, and they are very intrusive on the sound of the track. If I hear the flanger one more time somebody is going to get hurt.

horribley horrible overused.... horrid...

there's only one djm in town and i heard the owner's demo...
damn talk about using to many effects.... he even used the sampler.... horrid....

Back