Best way to mix edm trap music?

Antistyle

Hey guys, just a quick question here.

Since most trap music are written different bpm's some are even halfed.
I kind of found it hard to mix together?
Any suggestions on mixing trap music?

Mix it like the fav Trap song you hear.
Mixing is knowing how to get it to sound how YOU WANT.
Do you know how you want it to sound?
If you havent asked yourself that question first then do that now.
Then make it happen.

Start off by using the prod/mix procedures of "Turn down for what". Sounds good to me.

Yea, I meant mixing on cdj's in general.
Because trap music doesn't have the 4x4 kick pattern which makes it pretty harder..
Any suggestions?

Its actually not all that different then mixing your standard 4x4 house jams. The kicks are just layered in slightly more to give it several extra kicks. It still has the 4x4 pattern in it. You can still hear where the first beat begins and the 2 and 4 snare/clap hits. Use these as vital points to get a feel for the rhythm.

Most song will run around 180-200bpm. Rarely believe your software if it tells you half of that 90-100bpm. Only believe the half signature if you hear 32 beats when the instrumentation changes to a new phrase each time.

I found the use of cue points extremely helpfull in this genre. You can do some fun live sampling with it.

Here is another tip thats vital for mixing the genre.

Not all trap songs will analyze correctly due to the differentiated patterns. This happens more often in remixes. You might have to beat tap the tempo in your self or simply replace your starting beat to get a accurate beat grid.

EDM Trap usually has some type of vocal drop it in, you can subtly mix it and use the vocal drops for a great blend.
Hot cue the vocal parts and use it creatively to transition between tracks. Well, that's just one way.

Find more songs that you can use to bridge the gap between 80bpm and 120bpm. Get some re-edits/transitional tracks or make them yourself. Also that is quite a large jump so you can try to scratch it in. If you do that, try to make it as smooth as possible because it will be very apparent on the dance floor. I mix EDM/Trap very well. Use the drops and transitions to blend the songs together. Good luck!

One thing that really helped me keep the tracks beatmatched is to focus on matching the snares between the tracks. A lot of the kicks may be delayed slightly so it's difficult to rely on that soley. some could say that rings true for snares, but usually the snare in trap music is the best rhythm marker. if that makes sense.

Just use Traktor, find trap tracks and after that mix them. To do better mixing use Mixed in Key. It is really easy to mix trap

Back