Best DJ controller?

Wynter

I'm wondering what the best DJ controller is and for what level. For instance, what mixer/controller would you recommend for a beginner?

Not only the company but which is the best place to buy dj equipment?

Numark NS7ii. I like it because it's a digital turntable with vinyl decks. It already comes with Serato DJ. I guess it's for beginner to intermediate. For advanced, definitely some Technics SL-12xx MKx (x being whatever random number). As for mixers, some rane mixers with either 2-4 channels depending on how many decks you want to use. For the Technics, decide on whether you want Serato or Traktor. I like Serato because it is simple and scratching sounds nicer to me (maybe it's a psychological thing?), but Traktor (when you get to know the in's and out's of it) has much more functionality being able to import .vst's and whatnot. Virtual DJ, I liked the video aspect of it, but the rest is... ehh. Deckadance I used for quite a bit, but it didn't pique my interest all too much though it did the same thing as the rest. The best place to buy DJ equipment is probably Amazon. Ebay is a bit iffy in that they might send you something that's been a bit beat-up. Guitar Center is where I bought mine though. All in all, NS7ii. It has the best of both worlds for a digital and vinyl dj. (Though the vinyl is smaller than a real one, so you are going to have to go with shorter strokes, no homo.)

Do you guys know if the Numark mixtrack pro 2 is worth it for a low price controller? I'm looking for one and reviews seem favorable to it!

Mixtrack Pro 2 is a great piece of gear - it will get the job done and not break the bank. Check out my videos - if you want to spend more cash, NS7II or NS6 are great options - Pioneer has some great controllers on the high end also. Just depends what you are trying to do.

Great thread looking to invest in a controller aswell. I use traktor and at the moment i have the traktor s4 but its starting to kind of break, the faders arent always responding as they should. Thinking about possibly getting NS6, but im curious if it works with traktor?

I mainly use Traktor Kontrol S4. I'm a total newb when mixing, so i still feel that it's a big machine for the use i gave him.

Anyway, i think that someday i'll need the four decks and all those knobs. Also i use the integrated soundcard for my monitors and my mic, so it's useful for production too.

If was buying a controller now I would get the Numark NS7 II, no question. I've been spinning for nearly 20 years and when I did a complete digital upgrade last year I very nearly bought one. Ended up with a set of sc3900's instead. No regrets, but that Numark unit is a monster :-)

I would recommend the DDJ SB by Pioneer. However a word of caution, they have had issues with jog wheels ( I owned three that malfunctioned in some way before finally upgrading.) It's about $250 and I'm sure you can get one used for much less.

I would say the NS7 products are more advanced. I own the NS7 and love it. If you're not familiar with the touch of vinyl and moving platters, you will have to adapt to it. It's also very heavy compared to the SB. Purchase something small and cheap for practice or save up and buy something that will last that you can grow on.

Honestly from the NS7 I would move to 1200's. Since you have vinyl and moving platters.

If your a novice to mixing, try a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2,
[video]http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrack-pro-ii[/video]
good quality for a low price, you'll be able to sell it on, no probs, if your ready to step up a level the high end pioneers with Serato are incredibly versatile.
[video]http://pioneerdj.com/english/index.html[/video]

So many units on the market I feel that there can be 100 different answers But here is my 2c. I started on vinyl back in the day and have used everything from techniques to controllers and have to say here is a list of my favorite equipment. I have not listed anything I have not owned and can vouch for its reliability and durability.

2000 nexus (they are standard for a reason, so versatile and open you up to expand when you decide to use it as a stand alone unit but very pricey)
DDJ-SV (hands down favorite controller I have ever used, just wish they would incorporate Rekordbox)
Denon 3900 (again multimedia but fantastic for that old vinyl feel)
XDJ-Aero (been great for little gigs or as a added two decks to my CDJs when I want to take requests from peoples personal devices via wifi, also can perform away from decks with Rekordbox app which has added another dimension to the live shows. Can also be used as a stand alone unit, and record your sets directly to a plugged in USB key)
NS7 (another solid unit that opens up the ability to mix on active platters)

Good luck
Christo

I love the controllers from pioneer

They really are a standard for many design aspects. Cant get enough from the pioneers at Pioneer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back