best cartridge

D

djkerriousity

hey everyone... i was wondering if you all could help me pick out the best cartridges. i have 2 numark ttx1's (just got them) and will be spinning mostforms of dance musicn (breaks, house, trance, dnb, etc) and some rap/hip hop. basically i'm considering the shure whitelabels and any ortofons. first of all what ortofon would be best for my needs (i'd only be scratching occassionally if at all)? also, i know the shures have accented highs, flat mids, and solid bass..... how would this sound when i play rap? would these make rap sound ok? thanks for all your help. don't worry about price when evaluating these... i'm prepared to spend a lot on some good carts thanks

If you're willing to shell out for the best sound quality possible, get Grado DJ200 carts. Absolutely not for scratching, though. I think they're $120 a piece.

grado also makes some killer sounding headphones too, but i would be caught dead wearing them. As for carts, i've heard the whitelables are phat but my personal favorite for the concord design of carts would be the trackmaster 2, very reliable and good warm sound w/ detailed highs.

i went from trackmaster 2's to whitelables. whitelabels sound as good and hold a groove better with less weight on em- thus a key to me- less record wear- something people overlook when they buy cartridges.

Shure M44G, Shure M35X, Shure Whitelabel, Ortofon Nightclub S, Grado DJ 100/200.

I think that all of the carts listed above will do what you want them to. They range from $49 a piece of the 35's (which actually are very good sounding carts) to $100+, but they all sound great and track well. The Grados are a little hard core for me, but if you like them, suit yourself. The 44G is more of a hip hop/scratch cart, but I love the way they sound, and record wear is top notch. The ortofons are my personal choice for spinning house and trance, but the whitelabel is giving them a real run for the money. Find people you know, and try out a few. All of them have their good and bad points, but it is mind of hard to go wrong with any of them.
-Peasant Nikon

Back