Ack! HEEEELLLPPP!

G

[G-Prime]

Ok! I've got my birthday party happenin on the 22nd of Feb. and I want to mix some stuff to impress my friends, etc. Im not going to be using turn tables but am gonna use NI Traktor DJ Studio 2. I've got no experience with DJ'ing, never tried to. I do know musical terms, what knobs do etc. I do need some crash courses on how to mix, any help, or whatever. Im planning on spinning rap, even thought I dont want to but most of the people around my area like rap. So someone, PLEASE HELP ME OUT! Thank you in advanced!

Why would you want to mix some stuff to impress them if you never even mixed before? And sorry i cant help with your question couse iv never used one of those before.

I think it woudl be best if you just played a track and then faded into the next track when that track was over. Instead of attempting to mix, which is somethign that takes time and practice. That way, they won't listen to you attempt to mix and, in the case you do mess up horribly, they won't be like, "What the ****?"

If it's Vinyl or CD then you're probably not going to be able to learn to mix in a month (unless you practice 8 hours a day every day!) but I don't know if I can say the same for software DJing.

I know nothing about Tractor - maybe you should post a question in the DJ Software group?

One of the most important things with spinning Rap/R&B/Hip Hop is knowing your tunes. If you're not familiar with the genre then you're going to have a hard time mixing. You have to know when the vocal start etc etc otherwise the mix will sound carp (there's nothing worse than having two different vocals on top of each other).

I think you should take Shoe's advice and fade-in/fade-out tracks without trying to mix too much. Anything more advanced is going to take a while to learn... Good Luck!

Thanks for yer help. You all bring up a good point. I guess I will fade-in fade-out tracks. How about scratching? I've done that with Traktor. Also, how do I fade-in and fade-out properly?

Hey g-prime ! I don't mean to be a d!ck but why, like somebody else said before, would you try to impress your friends with some DJing skills that you don't even have or know about ? Sound too much like a "hey look at me!" kind of plan to me ...
Is it to impress a girl maybe then ;) ?

anyway, i don't have a real solution to your problem but just try to look like you know what you're doing and i guess your friends won't even notice the lack of skills. You could do some basic EQ tricks like cuting out the bass and throwing it back in at the right moment (same works for the highs). Simple trick but is effective if done properly. A bit of practice on this can get you good enough to make your friend go like "nice effect, what a great DJ !"....

Good luck anyway,

cheers,
mike

p.s: that thread makes me laugh :D :bat:

mikefatom said:

Is it to impress a girl maybe then ;) ?

LOL
Actually, its to impress 8 girls. So yeah, I've done EQ stuff. Actually, I have done some mixing...real basic...EQ stuff. I've also tried fading in two tracks so they played at the same time. I'm not quite a total n00b, I think I know what im doing.

[G-Prime] said:

LOL
Actually, its to impress 8 girls. So yeah, I've done EQ stuff. Actually, I have done some mixing...real basic...EQ stuff. I've also tried fading in two tracks so they played at the same time. I'm not quite a total n00b, I think I know what im doing.

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be asking us for help.

Why try to impress them at all? Just be yourself. If a girl wants you for your dj skills and not because she likes being around you then there's something wrong.

If you must impress them, find other ways. Just pick good tracks to play. When one is about to end, fade the new track in while fading the other out. Playing two tracks at the same time won't sound good unless they're beatmatched and lined up correctly.

Also, the untrained ear doesn't know what a good mix sounds like. There have been many times where I just have one record playing and my friends say "You sound good!" or "Are you doing that?"

Couple tips...don't be so "hey! look at me!" Just be into picking good tracks and fade one out and one in so there is no silence between tracks. And don't pay attention to anybody else.

brrrrrrrr.... it's kind of hard to dj when you cant mix...
:)
maybe you could play a CD, and just act as if you were mixing...
he he

:bigeyes:

If you must impress them, find other ways. Just pick good tracks to play. When one is about to end, fade the new track in while fading the other out.

Lol, its called winamp. Just dl that and you dont have to worry about anything.

When I first started Djing about a year ago, I didn't have the money for TT's and a mixer, so I started with Traktor, but its very similiar to Djing with vinyl in the fact that it takes practice... and lots of it to get good... It was about a month and a half until I could pull a solid mix off, and that was USING their beatmatching software... Which helps, but isn't perfect by any means...

The only thing I would say is that maybe if you practice for a while you might get good enough to mix for your friends, but it won't be easy... But don't do it if you're just trying to look cool cause you're a "DJ"...

But I WOULD recommend playing around with it if you are truley interested in Djing... Traktor was a great outlet for me to practice with until I got my Turntables and my Mixer... and then once I got my equipment, becuase I had used Traktor the only thing I really had to learn was how to beatmatch and control the vinyl... it only took me a couple days to get down a solid mix on the tables...

Im sorry G-prime, this is gonna hurt--- What the Fuk are you thinking??? Not a good idea for impressing girls. Unless you are placed w/ a mirracle you will most likely train wreck hard and bad! i myself still need more practice and i've been spinning for bout 2 years. The best thing for u to do is pick good tracks and get to know the girls instead of showing off. good luck. :cheers:

Amen to that.
Trust me, don't DJ to impress - it's like skating to show off when you've never skated before. You'll fall straight on your arse!
You could try mixmeister if you have a decent pair of headsets and a second soundcard.
It's like a studio mixer in real time - i.e. you can "create" your mix as the track is playing, but you can do it by moving the waveform around, without much beatmixing-on-the-fly skills.
THEN when the mix is happening, play with the EQ and pretend like you're still in the process of mixing (even though you've created the mix 5 minutes earlier.)
THey'll see the waveforms and think it's all technical shihat.
There you go, I have it all planned out for you!
I should write a book, "How to be a Fake DJ for Dummies"
lol
seriously though, that should work :)

Your gona sit in front of a COMPUTER during your party...

WAY TO GO GET THEM GIRLS MAN!

:p

You guys forgot that G-prime is 14... It explains the lot of your concerns.

-Gene

dj /-/2o said:
Your gona sit in front of a COMPUTER during your party...

WAY TO GO GET THEM GIRLS MAN!

:p

15 year old making fun of the 14 year old......

(sigh)

do yur best g prime!! have fun mess around and who try not to muck it up to much(a little is always ok;) )

i agree with everybody else who says 'just fade together cd tracks'. mixing hip hop is ****ing impossible, the beats are spaced so far apart and sometimes there is no bass at all, which is not good at all for someone who has never mixed before. just act like ur mixing and keep ur friends happy, they will be impressed.

Or better. Invite us all to your party and we'll scratch and mix the **** out and you hang with 8 girls. When we finish tearing up the place, send us the remaining 7 (or 8, depends if you score or not). :)

Back