1210 mk3d

spit_heron

Hi, first post here and a big question. I just bought a pair of technics 1200 mk3d's from a dealer in philadelphia. The tables appear to be euro spec tables, meaning the power plug is designed to plug into a european outlet. Right now i'm pissed off at the dealer for not mentioning this. However i got a good deal on the tables (beginning to see why...) and i was wondering if it is considered safe to use them in the US with an adapter from radio shack or someting? Thanks

Yea it should be ok. I know some dude around here that has those... legend has it that they pull stronger too but I think that's a bunch of bull.

Last edited:
did he advertise them as mk3's or m3d's? if he advertised them as mk3's then he told u they were non USA spec. if he said m3d's i'd send them back and demand real american m3d's.

actually there ARE 1210mk3d's.... i.e. black 1200's with a pitch reset button and recessed power switch. i saw 'em on a japanese site somewhere.

-sim*n

thats the mk3 that im reffering to. its sold ROW. to avoid confusion i drop the d from the end.

well the box says sl 1210 m3d (with no k). The instructions note that they are for the United Kingdom. Anyone else have an opinion?

spit_heron said:
The tables appear to be euro spec tables, meaning the power plug is designed to plug into a european outlet. Right now i'm pissed off at the dealer for not mentioning this. However i got a good deal on the tables (beginning to see why...) and i was wondering if it is considered safe to use them in the US with an adapter from radio shack or someting? Thanks

you have just purchased what are called "grey market" turntables. that means that they were not intended for sale in the USA, and therefore have a lower MSRP, allowing the dealer to sell them cheaper. this is a common trick with shady equipment dealers - my first pair of 1200's (bought on 42nd st. NYC) were the same kind.

the good news is there's no difference in quality; the only thing different is the plug and the fact that there is an internal 110v/220v switch for different voltages. they should have come with plug adapters already - check the boxes they came in, if you can't find the adapters. otherwise, go to Radio Shack. also, if you are in the USA, make sure the internal transformer is set to 110volts. the switch is located under the turntable platter (which means you have to remove it to gain access, but once you do, you'll see that it's clearly marked.)

the bad news is, Panasonic USA does not warrant grey market decks. that means you cannot get the usual warranties that Panasonic offers with USA 1200's. however, you can still get them repaired at any Technics-authorized repair shop.

now... does that answer your questions? ;)

peace,
sim*n

thanks for the info catnap. I called the store and it turns out the adapters were not included in the boxes, so they gave me new ones.

as a side note, i didn't have to remove the platter to get at the transformer, the holes on the bottum of the platter lined up directly with the switch so a screwdriver did the trick.

willing to give up the warranty to save some $

by the way i just got back from a Pual van Dyk set in D.C and he was amazing as usual!!

what you can do is change the power plug. Its pretty much all the same. + / - wires. so you go to som repare shop and im sure they would be happy to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back