The 1200 Thread.

drc24

Okay, we're always convincing ppl to get 1200s, and it gets frustrating when they don't understand why we hawk it so much, so lets put all the facts together here, and reference this thread instead of trying to re-create the argument every time someone is considering buying tables. Please add any info as needed.

Okay, this is the thread for all of you who are deciding between brand X and the Technics 1200 Mk2/M3D. In this thread, we're going to explain all the pluses and minuses the 1200 has to offer. Hopefully reading this will explain to you why we're always suggesting you spend those extra few weeks saving money for 1200s instead of getting the currrent tables you're considering.

Point 1:
Regardless of the quality of 1200s, they're the standard tables in almost every club. Either way you look at it, you're going to have to deal with them sometime. You might as well have them in your home, and be ready when (hopefully) the time comes.

The 1200 is the most consistent model of dj turntables that I've dealt with. They constantly perform well so you really can't deny their quality.

-Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
point 2. they are durable (see point 1). i've had my 1210s for 8 years and they operate just like they did the day i took them out of their boxes.

point 3. on the off chance that they do need to be adjusted, they are easy to work on. there's tons of info out there on the net and you don't have to be an electronics wizard to do it.

jeff h

Point 4: they do not degrade in value.
most turntables will drop in both price and value over time. the 1200s are the only table that will keep a high resale value if u ever decide you wanted to get rid of them.

Point 5: parts are readily available.
you can get parts for these turntables with ease b/c the 1200 has became a standard where many ppl have them.

Point 6: You can field strip the bad boys live if anything ever does go wrong, which happens once every 5-6 years or so.

Point 7: Every DJ accessory ever made (carts, toys, blah blah blah) is designed for it.

They are industry standard. I guarantee that if you're going to spin somewhere they will have 1200s. Why not get used to them so you don't have to get used to them for the first time at a gig?

Edit: I know this was the first point made, but it's very true.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: i just forgot in this thread we are supose to talk bout the negatives about the 1200s as well. The only bad thing i can think of is.... the 0% click in the mk2 uh yeah....

great job guys!

I was hoping for this thread to take on a life of its own, and that's exactly what it's doing!
punosion said:
"What are we supposed to do? I've never done this before..."

:angel:
Just pretend like you're talking to a DJ'ing newbie, and want to tell him/her everything about the 1200 at once.

Oh, and there are three major types of 1200s:
SL1200MKII
comes in silver or black

SL1210MKII
comes in black - has an internal switch between US/European power

SL1200M3d
comes in silver or black - has a switch to reset the pitch to zero, eliminating an annoying "click" problem in the MKII models (percentages like +-0.2 were unattainable on the MKII)

Dust covers and target lights are always included. :D :D

-Gene

1 minus - they are somewhat the most pricey turntable on the market, however, bear in mind point 4

Check out turntablelab.com. In the turntable section, they have a link next to the 1200's titled "Why you should buy a 1200 before anything else." Explains it all.

Then 2 rows down they explain how a Vestax is unskippable.

Mass confusion.:confused: :confused:

and they got a article praising the vestax pdx-2000s over the technics at asisphonics.net :confused:

And some other sight, (forget the name) gave the Numarks
10/10 in a bunch of categories.

So, its just a "go to the store and make up your own mind" kinda decision, im guessin'.

Damn dude! Maybe it's time you started building your scratch vocabulary more instead of bitching about decks in three threads at once. I thought you said you already played with all of these decks in the store?! It's obvious that no one can say exactly what you will like so it doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that trying things out for yourself is key in making the right decisions.

BTW you're probably thinking of sqratchattack's review of the TTx table.

-Gene

Back