Where could/should i play my first dj set?

KranxOfficial

Hey guys, im new to the forum but have been on here frequently.

Anyways, iv been producing dubstep/glitch-hop for close to a year now and think its time i start promoting my tunes and i figure playing shows is one of the better options.

I have never dj'd in genral but i can make a decent mix, i guess what im wondering is
1.would it be acceptable to simply play pre made mixes as my set?
2. Where could i play a set if im not able to get into any venues? Im just confused on how to aproach this whole thing. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Buy a controller, cd decks or turntables and learn to mix first, pre made mixes are pretty poor imo. If all you want to do is promote yourself maybe send tracks to local djs and find out how well they went down?

Do not play your first dj set publicly,better take advice from other djs since you are a beginner .

When you decide to play live remember to hold yourself to the highest standard possible, for yourself, and your audience..they deserve it.

Play wherever you can get some ears to listen! My first gig was at a university, I've done art walks, tiny backrooms of restaurants, just anywhere to get that hands on experience and exposure! Good luck!

I halfway agree with some of the other post above.
Don't play your pre-made mixes unless you're remixing them in your set, don't play nor try to play a venue till you feel confident in your skills, or you are sure to make a fool out of yourself and a joke out of your name.
Start by just mixing in front of friends, house parties, university hangouts where people are constantly coming in and out.
That way you learn your limits and gain a small fan base without embarrassing yourself in public.
Learn to use turntables.

Definitely agree with the other poasters you should be able to nail a mix before you try to lock down a gig. Cop serato DJ and a good priced controller if you are hard up on cash otherwise i would sugget you get technics (or if not some just some solid turntables, stanton = fairly cheap and good enough to learn on reloop have some nice tables/controllers for a modest price. I would def go for decks if you can afford it tho nothing beats a solid mix on turntables :)

As for playing out the internetz is a great way to sound out your mixes and see wether people feel them! Mixcloud is dope for this heres mine... DopeGee | Mixcloud
I usually just hit record and go for it I dont plan anything until im playing a local gig or supporting an international dude. The reason I do this is so that I can not only share it and get feedback but listen back myself as well, super important to judge my own raw skill because when you are on the deck you gotta focus on everything else so its great to sit back afterwards and just see how good your tune selection/beatmatching and blending skills are! especially for what you are planning to mix the long slow blend balanced with quick mixes is the key!

Back