What to play for a 6th grade dance

dj fade92

i have an idea but want some feedback of DJs that might have dont dances for people this young before.

i'm goin to play the most commercial **** there is like Usher, beyonce, get low, Cascada,

all party songs like YMCA and the cha cha slide

i'm goin to do a set with the twist.

more suggestions would be appreciated.

dj fade92 said:
i have an idea but want some feedback of DJs that might have dont dances for people this young before.

i'm goin to play the most commercial **** there is like Usher, beyonce, get low, Cascada,

all party songs like YMCA and the cha cha slide

i'm goin to do a set with the twist.

more suggestions would be appreciated.
Let's see... what to expect... PARENTS. So, you really have to do more than play commercial joints... you have to screen your selection regarding "suggested themes"... and that will reduce your playlist a little further. So you look at the classics to fill in the blanks. Mixing old school with current will also get the parents involved too.(you might even create a senerio that'll have the parents to "show" the kids... "they way they use to do it"... GET THEM INVOLVED(that helps 'loosen up' already protective and tense guardians).
Music wise... joints like 'It takes two'-Rob Base, 'Children Story'-Slick Rick, 'Rapper's Delight'-Sugar Hill Gang, 'Ride the train'-Quad City Dj's, etc..
Also, you can also give them a visual treat... if you know any B-boys, have them come thru and give a demonstration. I don't know what type of Dj you are or your skill level... but if you want to inspire the next generation, have them gather around for a DJ demonstration.(you might be shocked to hear kids come to you and ask about your records... some have never seen them before... really)

It's good to do gigs like these because it defines what a DJ is.(As a producer also... it also reminds me of a age group that is getting neglected. So I keep that in mind in my latest approach and work.)

Remember, you are also catering to the school and parents... don't let these kids talk you into playing something out of line.(they will try)

Be social, bring a mic and expect to use it... on this level... it's a sign of professionalism and courtesy.

Have fun with it!!
(Bring some lights too, it helps. *you can rent them also.)

Hit me up if you have any questions or concerns. *If it's going to be held in a gym... the echo is going to be a beast!

Just screen all your tracks...sometimes things will be marked clean when theyre not. Sometimes CD Singles will be mislabeled ..."dirty" track is tracklisted as "clean". I'd say play alot of classic stuff to fill in the gaps between soulja boy looping and the rest of the snap music these kids love so much.

The mic thing is also important. I don't know how the kids are these days because they all have their own dances now, but I remember I was with a friend doin a kid's party a couple years ago and he had to basically coax the kids into dancing.

LOL We'd also turn it up loud enough so the kids couldnt hear each other anymore and couldn't talk, they were forced to dance.

Last edited:
i used to love this when i was a kid, and that was like the mid to late 90's... so by then this was 15 years old, i don't know if the kids would like it now tho...

Last edited by a moderator:
if u play the edited version.. it should be fine.. they edited it pretty well..

Kidz Bop is great.. if u can find the party songs..

Quad City DJs is really where its at

I think Hip Hop Harry is doing 1/2 crank dat in one of those videos....Its like kids have hip hop they can grow with....so sad. Who woulda thought Russell Simmons woulda been drastically underestimating when he said "hip hop will sell mcdonalds one day"

dj fade92 said:
thanks everyone this actually helps.

should i play crank that or would it be a little inappropriate?
Use your head... and think "without a doubt". What does that mean? GO WITH THE SURE THING. If you have to debate if a song is risque, most likely it is. This is not an ADULT function, but ADULT's will monitor you.
(like that father... that's limiting the amount of adult themes and suggestions to his little girl)

ok i dont know if anyone cares what happened but i did the dance and completely underestimated those kids. i played crank that and everyone went crazy. i played ay bay bay but didnt think those kids would know it either but everyone was screamin AY BAY BAY. then i played some **** like let's get loud and what a feeling. the only thing if anybody ever does a party with that age group, bring a high school musical soundtrack cuz there was a lot of people askin for that and i dont have that crap.

dj fade92 said:
ok i dont know if anyone cares what happened but i did the dance and completely underestimated those kids. i played crank that and everyone went crazy. i played ay bay bay but didnt think those kids would know it either but everyone was screamin AY BAY BAY. then i played some **** like let's get loud and what a feeling. the only thing if anybody ever does a party with that age group, bring a high school musical soundtrack cuz there was a lot of people askin for that and i dont have that crap.
Sets like that will keep you on your toes! You really do have to alter your thinking, when it comes to the playlist. Like... getting over your personal interest of certain songs(due to the age gap) and play what you may deem as "too kiddy".
Another way to keep "up to date" without jeopardizing your professional status is to remix songs, that they know... but... you may not be able to play the vocals. (maybe, mixing a Beyonce accapella with 50's "I get money" instrumental). Thinking like that and re-inventing joints in that manner... can also help develope your name amongst a pretty decent paying clientel.(schools and various organized social events)

I hope you had fun and hopefully it will open more doors for you.

Back