what does mixing hip hop consist of?

few pads

i just got numark cdn 35 dual cd players
and a decent stanton mixer.

i have everything but scratch effects.

i know for parties and sweet 16s and things of that nature nobody scratches im just curious what is the basic approach even though i know there isnt a standard way,do most small party dj's follow threw on every record all 3 -4 minutes and then just mix the bpms or do they just stop a record and drop a record continuous?

thanks 4 any info

Most DJ's I know blend from record to record...at parties and clubs, I'll usually let the song ride for a verse or two...then go into the next one.

You can scratch in intros...stuff like that...

Easiest way to do it is to set up a line-up. Find out the BPM's of the songs you want to put in the mix...and put them in the order you want to play them in...write it down on paper or mentaly...and when it comes time for the real deal...you already have the records lined up and ready to go.

Heres a more detailed response:

So basically you will have record 'A' playing and when the chorus hits, you would 'throw' in record 'B'...let it blend for the length of the chorus which is usually 8 bars...then, before the next verse on record 'A' comes in, move the fader to the other side so that all you hear now is record 'B' By the time you do this, the first verse or chorus should come right in after the blend ! Sounds confusing, but listen to a mix on the radio and it will make more sense ! Hope that helps !

Would you drop the bass levels on record A and slowly increase on B as you are moving the fader over to B? Or just leave both full?

thanks for the info mack0ne !

delatroy said:
Would you drop the bass levels on record A and slowly increase on B as you are moving the fader over to B? Or just leave both full?

i would believe cutting the lows a little will prevent bad distortion so yea but not 100% isolating though because then it would sound alkward to have a big song followed by one muffled !

I leave it almost killed, but raise the gain on B, since you can hear the clap with the mids its fine to beat match with and I find actually easier. Then I bring in B slowly rasing the bass gain, reducing overall gain and reducing bass gain on A.

Make the mix last longer.

delatroy said:

If anything...I would just adjust the GAIN as needed...but thats just because some records are recorded a little louder than others.

Yeah i dont really adjust the EQ too much durring a set. I just adjust the gain with the input level meter. But like if i am scratching, ill cut the bass a little bit so that it sounds a little bit sharper. Some times i keep the trebble just a bit higher to hear the sharp snare for beatmatching.

MACKone said:
Easiest way to do it is to set up a line-up. Find out the BPM's of the songs you want to put in the mix...and put them in the order you want to play them in...write it down on paper or mentaly...and when it comes time for the real deal...you already have the records lined up and ready to go.

Dude! This is SO not the way to do it. When I play a gig, I just grab a load of tunes I think will work for that crowd. That's it. "Find out the BPMs"... not a good idea! Beatmatching shouldn't be reduced to a mathematical operation! If you're cutting or only doing short blends you can get away with the BPMs being a bit out (obviously not loads out!)

But most importantly; if you already know which tunes you'll play, and in which order, then how do you interact with the crowd? If you've (somehow) managed to get the crowd bubbling along nicely, do you throw in a rare classic to really it get it jacking, or do you stick to your list? Exactly...

Mng said:

Dude! This is SO not the way to do it. When I play a gig, I just grab a load of tunes I think will work for that crowd. That's it. "Find out the BPMs"... not a good idea! Beatmatching shouldn't be reduced to a mathematical operation! If you're cutting or only doing short blends you can get away with the BPMs being a bit out (obviously not loads out!)

But most importantly; if you already know which tunes you'll play, and in which order, then how do you interact with the crowd? If you've (somehow) managed to get the crowd bubbling along nicely, do you throw in a rare classic to really it get it jacking, or do you stick to your list? Exactly...

I have to disagree.

Definitely the best thing for A BEGINNER...would be having an IDEA of what tempos your songs are and having them organized. In other words HAVE A LINEUP ready...

I agree that the crowd is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect. But its always good to have a LINEUP setup; and you can adjust as needed, as you go.

The worst thing a beginner can do is go out and try to 'wing it' Its already hectic as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the majority of the beatmatching resides simply in knowing your records. You should have laready played different records in different combinations to know if and how you can mix two together. You should know that you can go from record A to records C,D,and E. It's right in between these two responses above, you want to have some idea of which records you can play, and have some idea of what takes you where, but you also want to be able to adjust it, but you don't want to do this blindly or you'll run out of cue time.

dam i been just studdering the intro or main kick to the B track in to every mix . like i just studder

1- record a

KICK KICK SNARE KICK

2-record b

studder studder studder DROP record

STUDDER TO EVERY kick

it sounds pretty good

everyone seems to be argueing a point and all of you are right!!

ming!! you said it from my own heart to be completely honest!! but if this is like his first teeny boppers house party then he might just want to get the basics!!

have a good mess about with the tunes at home and know whats gunna beat map, sort out a load of PHAT tunes!! these are tunes that you can just drop and people will get up and dance!

you want to know what makes you get the funk on!! and leave your self open for a change in selection!!

dont bother working out a routine, but i guess as its your first go at it you will want a bit of praise for what your doing from your teeny friends, so if you wanna get laid too!! listen to this simple rule!!

when you got the ladys up, keep it flowing with a bit of r n d, drop in some real but grinding tunes in, keep looking at the lass you want to get in the sack as you drop

"this...is a little something.. for you!!!" point right at here!! and watch her melt baby!!

you getting laied tonight kid!!

just keep it all fresh, you dont have to beat mix every tune, especially with all these tunes which have a yeh yeh big up my nigga intros!! it just sounds sh't!! if you grab something which will mix, mix it, if not get the last snare befor the vocals come in anddrop that last snare on the last snare of the chorus which is playing and cut it over!! doing the classic funk master flex switch!! i think you know what im on about!!

and ust dont sweat it too much!! if a beat goes out of sync and the lady you want looks at you, just grab the nearest bevy on the table and do that, im a bit pissed look! purly understandable, trust me!!

http://www.arkade.com/default.aspx?a=Two_Dawgs

Back