What do you look for in a deejay?

MuhalXtra1387

Hello everybody, I am in the process of becoming a deejay and I want to know what are so things that I should consider, and pay attention to when performing at parties. I am more less going to be working more small time gigs like house parties and what not, so any info regarding that would be helpful!

At what age did you realize your interest in deejaying? Ask yourself more than anything else why do you want to? If it's for women and material gain a 9-to-5 regardless of occupational title can provide that.

If you have friends within and outside of your age bracket who are professional full or part time DJs see if you can drop in on their events but while they are at work observe them but don't interrupt, ask them afterwards about what you observed.

The best DJs are masters at setting and keeping a vibe going but also knowing when to stop. You are to become a master of moods.

You are to become a master of moods.

I think that's pretty accurate. When performing at parties you want to be able to read the crowd, and adjust accordingly. You know, these days, famous DJs can be deceiving in modeling "what to do" after them. If you go see a famous DJ like Eric Prydz perform, you know what you are going to get. Most people in the audience have been listening to his singles, his mixes, etc. They expect some kind of a progressive house set. So Eric Prydz has to read the crowd a lot less than someone just starting out, playing smaller parties. He already knows his crowd.

You, on the other hand, might not know your crowd as well. Especially if you are being hired by strangers to play house parties. You should probably have a prior idea of the "vibe" you're going into - like a college frat party is going to feel much different than a house party where the invitees are friends that go see house music together. You'll have to have a pretty vast library of music with you, and know how to adjust accordingly. See what tracks make people dance. Feel the ebbs and flows of energy. It doesn't have to be 100% full-on all the time, either. Have you played several bangers in a row? Slow it down, give people's bodies and ears a break. Then pick it back up.

Hopefully this helps, I hope I understood your question!

Back