virtual dj help

elchamo

so a friend is throwing a party and wants me to dj it... the only problem is i only have a basic understanding of the virtual dj software..... so my questions are...

1. is there ANY way to use headphones to listen to the upcoming track WITHOUT a mixer?
2. can you give me some tips on mixing tracks without using headphones to hear the upcomming track?

my setup:
computer, virtual dj, headphones, heaphone splitters

Don't accept a job until you know your equiptment, your material, and have developed your skill. Your friend is looking for a quick and cheap solution... and you're setting yourself up for failure. Don't do it...

And VDJ of all programs is NOT the one you want to experiment with in a public setting! Read and heed.....

well he knows im not an expert, and they're not expecting me to go crazy on the scratching.... i got a wide selection of music and all and i recorded a few 15 min mixes i can use ....
... the music im playing is merengue, techno, reggaeton n hiphop. u guys r right though, however ive been practicing a lot and i think that if i play it safe and not fool around so much ill b fine.
i will let you guys kno what happens ok

so yeah the party was last night... im not the kinda person to back down from something so i still did it... i kno u were just tryinna help b but i disliked ur responses so negative yet realistic. the party was a success and i mixed songs using the beat sync figure and by looking at the waves. I also fooled around with the looping beats and came out wit sum fun stuff, i also added sound effects like sirens and stuff. maybe u guys should take more risks cuz good things can come out of it i really enjoyed it, i played one of my techno beats and ppl were breakdancing to it (happy moment indeed)
and ppl came up to me and complemented me so yeah.

Last edited:
Well first and foremost, I'm glad to hear that your gig was successful. On another note sorry that you feel that the responses you received were negative.... you asked for people to "speak on it" and from what I've read your right, all anyone here was trying to do was help but your entitled to your own opinion on that one. As for experimenting as you put it, I'll just say that it's a time and place for everything....hey even you said you were planning on "playing it safe"! I myself also like to experiment here and there but thats long after I've learned my product inside and out, I get paid serious $$$ to D.J. so I just can't afford to experiment and not even know what I'm experimenting with but that's just my oh-2. All to many times our friends,family or what have you will tell us what we want to hear and not what we need to hear, I think all here had good intentions to try to help you set yourself up for the utmost success....

Last edited:
ur right bout that man... ppl need to hear wat they need to hear and not what they want to hear... this happens a lot with rappers that think they're the $hit because their friends and family dont wanna hurt them by telling them that they suck... ive seen it happen but i always give my honest opinion so in this case is the same thing... since it was just a house party i wasnt 2 worried bout it, i saw it like practice u kno.. but if it was something more serious i would've cancelled it cuz i need a mixer and more experience

Back