Vinyl or CD?

Neither one is better (I'm lying...lol), it'z all about preference.... so roll wit the vinyl!! :)

vinyle is expencive and hard to get but its got better quallity for cuts and scratches but its up to you depending on if ur playing underground stuff go with cds

It depends on what your goals are as a deejay. Deejaying is expensive either way, vinyl or cd. It's good to start with vinyl so you can understand the concept behind cueing and marking your records, which translates over to cueing cd's. The basic functions of working with vinyl lays the groundwork for transitioning to cds because it gives you an understanding of why you are doing what you are doing. Peace be with you..............Rob Mixx

Vinyl gets my vote too. Probably because that what I used the whole time I dj'ed. To me there is something about scratching vinyl that is lost on cd scratching. Plus it is good to keep the old ways alive I think, like beat mixing by ear not a bpm counter.
True vinyl can be expensive and hard to find, but I love digging and it is rewarding when you find those rare jems. And you can always get serato or something similar if you want to go digital plus be able to play vinyl if you want.

Have you got any vinyl at all???

Everyone makes good points, but if you are starting out then you need to go wiv CDj's.
It's easier for you to gain access to various forms of music via Mp3 etc..
As you gain experience then you will probably want to delve into different forms of Dj'ing...old school/breaks/diggin etc

Then you might lean towards the wax..go for it all.

Neither. It's all preference.

If it's for your own satisfaction then buy what you can afford and feels right to you.

If your going to pursue a career out of djing then I would recommend learning both as most clubs will have both options availiable and in a live situation you may need to change from one platform to another at the drop of a hat!

Hope this helps;)

cds are koo i suppose. but if youre anything like me, youll like the old school feel of your hand on vinyl while your mixing or scratching. i say vinyl.

or just get serato. lol

that's the problem with serato, it caters for people who want to be "real" and "old skool" but are too lazy to put in any effort.

totally fake.

you know i never looked at it like that. hmmm.. i almost feel bad for having that setup now.

but anyway i dont have a lot of music on my serato so i still buy vinyl. i mean anyone can download music right? its just more gratifying to see my collection grow and knowing that i have vinyl that no one else has.

as far as the question. i mean its really up to you. i have thousands of vinyl (well more like just 2000) and i am happy with djing with them. i have an equal amount of cds that i lug around when i do gigs with people that have CDJs but i just cant get into them.

its really up to you though.

as far as serato. for those of you that do use it. you ever feel like your "cheating" on your vinyl?

Last edited:
but look around you.

people are buying less because they don't have to pay to get an album. people are greedy, it's natural. no-one cares about anything only themselves.

if i see a DJ with serato i want to see him doing something that i wouldn't see a vinyl DJ do.
otherwise i just think they're lazy

ah yer talking about the monotony (sp?) i see i see.

in my opinion, these are the times where everything is made ten times easier for everyone. so even if there was something that serato djs could do, it could probably be done by a regular vinyl dj as well. just a bit harder.

i mean i started djing in 93 when i was a freshman in high school and there wasnt serato. hell there wasnt even CDJs yet. just 1200s and a junk mixer from radio shack is what i had. hahaha. rockin parties was fun and diggen was ten times more fun.

we live in an era of lazyness. and it definitely shows in some of the music that comes out. its just the everyday birth of new equipment.

thats why i love turntablism. there are things that you can do with regular vinyl that people with serato (lol i shouldnt be talkin. even though i dont use it very much i still have it) or cds cant do.

Back