Turntablism is not dead

I don't get this about all these "Virtual DJs": If you can scratch sounds from your computer (and thus anything you've ever heard), why would you waste time scratching sounds you can find on any old break record? It's boring enough watching routines with the same "Aah" and "Check it!" and particular drum hits, but it's twice as boring when they're not even really scratching records/not worrying about skips/not having to switch records.

Video is funny as hell! Yeah I don't get turtablism without changing the vinyl, the precision on putting the needle on the record, all those new dj's think they are the new champion, but they would cry they mama if in competion they would see Qbert again!

hahaha, Tt was just to get people to check it out :P, its just a freestyle as apposed to turntablism 'set' or 'routine'.

But, aye, i know what you mean, i practise that sort of stuff a fair bit. I find practising scratching is more fun however, and that impressed me more than dropping a needle accurately when i am an onlooker, it makes it more accessible. There is a time and a place for 'routines' and 'battles', and thats when your at a competition and not practising freestyle cuts and scratches.

Most of what people are doing in DMCs now is too much based around how fast someone can do something as apposed to how it sounds, some people at the DMCs just do 700 click flares whilst doing a flip, but who really cares if it doesnt sound good? IMO

Videos like the ones above (excluding mine) show what a 'set' is about, and what it should consist of. We need more up and coming pioneers

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Hosey : You still do have to worry about skips. The Absolute (real vinyl position) mode is the most accurate.

I don't know what all the fussing is about. Troubl scored pretty reasonnably in the ITF and DMC championships over the past 5 years. He's done his fair amount of pure vinyl turntablism and am sure he could show everyone of you guys a trick or two -with all due respect-

Too many Djs who haven't contributed to the community feel entiteled to hiss and diss on every occasion because they think they know something about the oldschool.

Louch...is that you??...get ya hair cut!!..haha

Nah, for real...latest DMC's were rubbish.folk cuttin some bleeps/sounds over techno beats...sounding like ****???

Kats getting their wax pressed up special??...nah!!

Kinda lost at the moment...will still luv it to the bone, but thats whay i'm gald i've still got some old shows on whs tape.

Gotta do what Qbert does. Get lost in the beat..ride the beat and scratch. I feel like people who try out for DMC are too technical. I could scratch for hours with nothing but a beat, and tonnes of records. I run Torq at home, but when it comes to scratching, I like to pull out my regular vinyl. Nothing sounds better than a worn out disney's ABC record :D

Back