Is the turntable an instrument ?

M

MACKone

Would you consider the turntable to be an actual instrument the same way you would think of a guitar or a trombone etc. ? Why ?

This is something I've thought alot about, and still have no definite answer. Heres some of my ideas about the subject so far:

I'd like to say that the turntable is a musical instrument, but I kinda think we would have to redefine the definition of "what is a musical instrument" in order to include it.

On the other hand, Rob Swift would say that it can be a musical instrument if you can see it as one.

But I believe, 99.9% of people using turntables are not using it as a musical instrument. They are using it as a playback sample device and thats it. But then there are guys like DJ Woody with his flutine sequence (www.woodwurk.com), and I totally think he is using his tables as an instrument for this song. He's playing individual notes, and scales within a rythmn.

Most of the time I think DJs are not using it as a musical instrument because the rythmns and patterns are set for them. They just have to rearrange them the way they like. You can do the same thing easily by cutting and pasting parts of songs together on the numerous musical software applications there are these days. But I wouldn't consider music software to be a musical instrument. The only thing turntables have over the software musical instrument wise is that turntables are played live, not recorded and played back later.

Some of these beat juggles I've seen allow me to think of turntables are being used as musical instruments. You know the ones where the guys are rearranging every drum hit to make whole new beats. All the drum hits are being played individually, but the way about doing it is different.
But to me, looping a few bars would not be using it as a musical instrument.

But I think in the end, if you are a hardcore turntablist your turntables can be considered a musical instrument/playback device hybrid. Because those crazy guys are bending the pitch to produce individual notes within scales. When you visualize yourself manipulating your equipment and records in such a way we are definitely getting closer to it being a reality. I think this might be what Rob Swift was talking about.

yes a turntable is an instrument. anything that plays a sound is an instrument.

I don't agree with anything that plays music is an intrument (instrument like a violin or piano) but I feel it depends how TTs are used.
If they are used as a playback device, then clearly , the user isn't actually creating new sounds.

If it used for scratching/beat juggling then the question arises: if modifing the previously recorded sounds in different combinations/speeds would that consitute as producing a new sound? thus in my view, does it qualifing as an instrument? I feel yes. Entirely new beats/sounds cant be manipulated, even though using a previously recorded sound.
The range of different sounds/combitions/beats which can be made from one standard sound is immense.
You could play a scale on a turntable, using one sample.
Moving a record fast or slow could be compared to moving the stick (pardon the word) on a violins strings fast or slow. The strings could be compared to the vinyl except that with vinyl, no standard set sound is produced.
Turntables can produces pitches.

I believe often the case, this is question arises because: scratches very often do not sound very musical (in the classical do ray mee, sense) and also because they may be used to just play back music. A violin doesn't play itself. Ultimatly I guess it all depends how a TT is used.

the end.

I turntable is an intrument if you see it as one, much like those tossers that make drums out of bins and stuff, admittedly sounds quite cool at times but still, a bin lid is an instrument, so a tt MUST be one.

Will

I looked it up @ Dictionary.com and it gave me this:

musical instrument

n : any of various devices or contrivances that can be used to produce musical tones or sounds

So I guess the answer is yes, the turntable CAN produce musical tones and sounds. I was reading the link that Carnage dropped and their argument was more along the lines of : is a DJ a musician...and that argument can go on forever. I just don't think "Turntablism" has been around long enough for the art form to develop as much as a piano or guitar.

mu·si·cian ( P ) Pronunciation Key (my-zshn)
n.
One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music

I would consider a TURNTABLIST to be a musician, but not a DJ who just plays music.

"anything that plays a sound is an instrument."

So my ass is an instrument then? Dope.

But whatever, turntables werent meant to be used as instruments obviously, they were just meant to play records.

Theodore made it an instrument.
Yes I think it is one.

Yeah, I just think that the stereotypical DJ is alot like the wedding dj you know? Like, playing some records that some people requested, which, although I am assuming alot here, doesn't sound that hard. I cant judge on Club Djs, I don't know enough about them to argue about. Turntablism: yes, no doubt about that. Period.
Taken from Battlesounds.com:
turn ta bl ist\ 'tern-ta-belest \n
(ca.1995)
1a one who has the ability to improvise on a phonograph turntable
1b "one who uses the turntable in the spirit of a musical instrument" (Dj Babu)
1c a musician; a hip-hop disc jockey who in a live/spontaeneous situation can manipulate or restructure an existing phonograph recording (in combination with an audio mixer) to produce or express a new composition that is unrecognizable from its original ingredients.

Alot will disagree, I dont care, as much as they want to think a dj is not a musician, they are, they are gonna have to live with it.

--Bomberman ;)

it is not technically an instrument. You cannot play A chord or C major. But it is an instrument if you compare it to the drums.

"You cannot play A chord or C major."

That's why they are producing scale records.
Like a record with entire octaves of different samples. So it can kinda play scales, but obviously nothing like a guitar or piano.

Well, I don't think any one instrument needs to have to produce a specific note in order to it be a musical instrument; For example, like you said - All precussion (exluding some, like the timpany drum)don't really require them to play say, a C#, yet still, pitch does matter. This is the same with the turntable, although you dont often play a C# on the decks intending to use that in a melody, pitch still maters, in order to get differant effects, such is the sound made by the drag scratch, or the stab, the scribble etc etc.
I can understand why people think it isn't an instrumant, but when it really comes down to it, what's stopping it from being one??
My 2 cents...

--Bomberman

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I can't edit my other post, so I had to post up another one:
These here, is what I call using the tables as a musical instrument...
The one and only D-Styles and Melo-D:
Part 1
http://www.djbattle.net/videoinfo.php?videoID=48&action=stream
Part 2
http://www.djbattle.net/videoinfo.php?videoID=49&action=stream
Part 3
http://www.djbattle.net/videoinfo.php?videoID=50&action=stream
These guys are so damn creative, skilled and musical...
Oh, by the way, their in Real Media format, sorry if cant get it to work, if ya can't get it to work, download Alternitave Media, that should help...
--Bomberman

DJ hRmonic said:
"You cannot play A chord or C major."

That's why they are producing scale records.
Like a record with entire octaves of different samples. So it can kinda play scales, but obviously nothing like a guitar or piano.

ohh wow... now thats just stupid..

That's a good question hRmonic...

In my opinion, scaled records are a breakthrough!

dsuh- we await your response and justification of your previous comment!

Back