Turn table scratch question

C.G. Productionz

The Certified Genius
Question for my DJs and producers, do you pan turn table scratches on your mixes when you add them to your beats? I know the general rule is do whatever sounds best but just let me know your opinion on the subject matter

depending on what type of sound you want. You can do some crazy stuff panning out the cuts from left to right then ending up in the center to give out some kind of effect.

It depends what I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes, when I do laser skratches, I'll pan from left to right to get a in/out effect or up, up, and away effect.

Never, that would be incredibly irritating should some hear that through headphones. everything nice and center is the best way to go. also EQing while mixing songs together makes a big difference.

Never, that would be incredibly irritating should some hear that through headphones. everything nice and center is the best way to go. also EQing while mixing songs together makes a big difference.

Wrong. It adds an effect to it. Theres a reason why the Invisibl Skratch Piklz added a similar effect to their 07ISP limited mixer. To have the sound bounce around. Depends on what technique your using and how you use it. Off course it would be irritating if he kept it to the left for 10 seconds and kept it to the right for 13 seconds.

If you gonna pan cuts, you better switch them left to right just as fast as your crossfader to give an ill effect. lol

Place scratch track where the vocal track sits

Depending on the type of scratch, I would normally not pan your scratches. What I do is place the mono scratch track(s) where the mono vocal track(s) normally sit. I treat scratch elements just like vocal elements in the mix, but I never have a scratch and vocal element playing at the same time. Why?

Well, as a rule of thumb when scratching, you should refrain from scratching over vocals. I hope this is still the norm, because nothing is more annoying than listening to a DJ tearing it up during a verse and drawing your attention away from the all important vocal track(s.) Scratches, like vocals, are normally mono in nature, not stereo. Therefore, I normally place scratches centered in the mix where the vocals sit for simplicity, convenience, and just because it sounds better.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
i wouldnt pan the scratch sound. id probably change the volume of certain scratches. like this dude above me said. refrain from scratching over vocals unless youre just practicing by yourself. you want the scratches at the beginning. chorus. and/or the end. for a cherry on top type of thing.

You want the scratch to accompany the beat...volume and placement is key

I agree with most of what has been said. Keep it center for the most part. But you can get some interesting results with panning. Especially some back and forth with different scratch sounds to make it sound like the scratches are alternating. (requires multi-tracking or overdubbing though)

Back