Trouble with my New Needles!

SammyT

Hey all,

Need some help in this arena...

I had just replaced my Radio Shack RSDJ500 needles with new ones on my Technics SL-MKIIs, and now I can't scratch for beans. I've balanced my tone arms and carts and the needles keep "flying" off and skipping while trying to scratch/back cue the records. Before replacing my needles (due to an unfortunate circumstance) they seemed to "stick" to the record like flies on *#@%...

I tried replacing the RS carts with Sure 680 EL Carts/needles but with the same result. I've returned to using the RS carts but have started to place a dime on the headshells.

Is there any possible way that I can get back to how my original needles performed? As I've said, I've balanced the tonearm and then moved the weight up to the front as I had with my previous needles with no satisfaction.

I must be missing something here. Also, fyi, I have cleaned my 12"s thinking it may have been some build up within the grooves.

*help*...=(

Hmm, can be several things.
Well here are some things you can do first :
-Adjust the height of your tonearm to about 3.5 (not higher for the models of needle you use)
-Put your tonearm weight backwards and crank it up to the max, this will make you gain about 1.5 g (remember more pressure=more record and stylus wear)
-Try messing around with the antiskate. I usually set it to zero. Some people set it to the same amount as the weight (or max if it's out of range)
-for scratching, it helps if you angle the needle a little inwards. Untighten the headshell screws a bit and turn the needle inwards (not much), then tighten the screws again.

If this doesn't work, reply and I'll try to help you further (if I can :D)

Peace
Dj Thy

=)

Thanx DJ Thy

I'll try that ASAP and keep you up to date...just a question though...have you had the same experience also?

Problem Seems to be SOLVED!!

Hey DJ Thy!

Thanx for the tip of pivioting my cart/needle in a wee bit...

I double checked my settings again, moved the weight up front, set the anti-skates to about 1-2, basically
re-adjusted the height to its highest setting (thats how it was before I changed needles)...and now I'm able to scratch and back cue using at least my RS 500DJ cart. I'm still having a little trouble getting the Stanton 680ELs to do the same but at least they aren't "flying" all over the place...

YOU SIR, ARE "THE MAN"!!!

Aloha and MAHALO!!!

Glad I could help you out.

Well, to answer to your question, I've had a couple of probs with some needles too (I had make a test all the equipment of my electronics shop, so the guy could decide which equipment he would sell :D)

I've tested about every "famous"(I mean by that many of the good selling brands like Gemini, Numark, Vestax, ...) TT's, mixers, styli, ...
So I have a pretty good idea how those things react. Everytime a decent piece of equipment comes out, as soon as the shop has it, I test it.

Peace
Dj Thy

Back