Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntables

Does anyone have a set of Technics SL-1200MKII turntables? If so, where did you purchase them and what was the price and condition?

So you want a pair of those work horses eh? :) I'm assuming you already know you can't get technics new anymore unless you wanna spend like $2k with someone who's been hoarding them. E-Bay or craigslist always have em up for sale from someone.

I got my MKIIs 7 years ago used from guitar center for like $350 for a pair of the black ones. They were used by a working DJ who kept them up well and had like 15 years of experience but decided to give it up. That was a steal even back in '07. Hell, I rarely spin anymore but I don't think I'd ever sell those unless my kids were starving. It's hard to find people giving up those in good condition unless they're desperate.

With all that being said, they are probably the easiest turntables to find parts for and repair, customize and improve. The components are all legit and there are 1000s of people who can repair and customize those, that's why they last 30 years. If you can't find any used in good condition, find some for cheap and get them repaired. Their value can only go up anyway.

Cheers!

I bought my first pair of 1200's back in 1999 for $800. Saved up like a mf'er and bought 'em one at a time-one black one that needed a new tone arm and a silver one with the pitch lock button and a Rane TTM mixer. Them joints got stolen the following year, so I worked two jobs and bought an all new pair of 1210's for about $900. My first pair, I bought from a local dj store that is now closed and GC, my second pair I bought online with an Ecler HAK320 mixer.
Ended up selling one of my decks for $300 to put on some books for school back in 2007. I worked as a dj for roughly 5 years, and it was a rough 5 years. My single deck is in the basement of my house unused and with a thick layer of mold and dust. In fact, the stylus tip looks like a furball. I would've put that thing on eBay seeing as the value has risen now that Technics no longer manufactures them anymore, BUT, who the hell is using turntables these days as a working dj? Maybe I should, I could get $1K for it easy if some one is interested (I doubt it, but hey, couldn't hurt to try, right?)

Does anyone have a set of Technics SL-1200MKII turntables? If so, where did you purchase them and what was the price and condition?

Legendary decks cemented in history, I'm not sure how practical it is to purchase an expensive discontinued product with huge demand on parts. Have you considered a modern alternative like - Audio Technica AT-LP1240

Last edited:
Back