Software for CD editing

K

kabaschw

Hope you can help me...I want to use software to edit a track from a CD. I want to separate the track into all of its component voices. For example, I want to selectively remove the artists voice and leave the rest of the CD accompanyment the same, for Karaoke. I may want to increase the piano track and dampen the guitar voice. Can you tell me the best software for this?

Welcome to onlineDJ kabaschw :)

This is unfortunately not possible. The only thing you can affect to *try* to remove voice or a certain element is the EQ (Equalization), removing basses, or mediums, or high frequencies, or... But you won't be able to have a *clean* track without the drums, and a clean track with only the piano..

You can attenuate the voice by reducing some mediums. You can either use Sound Forge or Cool Edit to edit the Equalization (frequencies) of any sound (WAV in general). Good luck

Actually ManoOne, I learned on school it can be done, but with a very (and I mean very) expensive proggie called Audiosculpt (designed by the French audio institute IRCAM).

Theres also another way.
Some programs have a certain way of analysing the sound spectrum. They can find out which frequencies on the Left and the Rigth channel that tends to be the same. This will then be what you could call the "Center" channel.
Then, by inverting the frequencies the are similar with eachother, you should be able to move the vocals almost completely.

You see:
When you put vocals on a track you often simply use a mono-microphone and mono effects, while the rest of the track tend to be in stereo.

But: This does not always work. Sometimes you'll also remove some drum or synthsounds or whatever and maybe sometimes, all BUT the voice is in mono.
But most of the times the vocals should be significantly reduced.

I've only read about this and I have no idea where to get a program that can do this.

Back