Slipmats too slippy?

The_Kid

I've got a pair of Numark TT-2s, and I'm very pleased with the torque they put out, but I was wondering if the record pickup relies on the quality of the slipmats as well. The included Numark slipmats are of high quality, but when backspinning and scratching it seems as though it slides too far, even though the platter is turning under full speed. Is it possible that my slipmats are TOO slippy? Thanks,

The Kid

slippy slip mats

this is just a thought but give it a try cos I have had this
problem as well check that your record/s arent bowed in towards the centre to check this press down near the centre
spindle then turn it over and do it again if on one side there is no downward movement and on the other side there is then its possible that your record is bowed one side will slip much more because less of the record is in contact with the mat

hope this helps

dj2sharp

england.....

I don't scratch...but your slip mats can never be to slippy......The slippier the better....Slippy slipmats are what it's all about :) You have to puch off just the right amount when you are scratching.....

Ckerr812 said:
I don't scratch...but your slip mats can never be to slippy......The slippier the better....Slippy slipmats are what it's all about :) You have to puch off just the right amount when you are scratching.....

each to there own but i agree.....the slippier the better, as long as they still pull

Of course they couldn't be too slippy, Imagine and try spinning back 7/4 of a beat in the last 1/4 of the beat (precisley (use metronome or another record), wicked sound and great trickz helparound....

actually its not after 7/4 but as soon as you hear th 6th quarter, then spin back as fst and make it stop at the right point.... tonzopractise....

the slippiest slipmats

I got stuck buying shitty slipmats at the moment because my tables came in and that was the one thing I waited until last mintue to get. There in store stock around here is limited and they only had one pair of those crushed velvety wavy slipmats. Sure they might look ok but that's not what I want, but for the moment I got stuck with them. Anyone suggest what they prefer to be the slippiest brand of slipmats around??? (slipmat alone, with mine I cut some wax paper to help 'em out) If I could do without that and have some damn slippy mats that'd be great.

electrostat

i think thats what they're called. they are the best mats ive used so far. they are just plain grey no logos. if you ask your local dj store they should know what they are.
peace

SICKMATS! NUFF SAID> I think they are the most widely used. Yep i said it. They are called SICKMATS.

if you have shat mats, get the inside kinda crispy plastic liner in some record sleves, cut it in to a mat and put it under the slip mat!! works a charm for all you cheapskates!!

technics speed slip mats - they're made from some stiff fabric- i find em amazing

better than my old sicmats

butter rugs are nice - but too slippy ... i found it quite hard to do controlled tears on them

i need some butter or tech mats where would u get some tech matts? they prolly better than standard soft velvet stantons?? thats what i have and im not very happy =(

what about sewer slimes? that is what i have and i have been pleased since i bought em, slip but grab nice also...

skunk

i guess basically what it comes down to is whatever works for you.

I was using a pair of numark ones that came with my 1650's and was loving them. Bought a fancy pair and decided i liked the cheap numark ones more. I just bought tech 1210's and am now using the technic slipmats (with the inlcuded peice of plastic) that came with my TT's, but I still love my old numark slipmats

Back