Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skoolys tips on buying dj equipment (LONG POST)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    it's simple -

BUY CHEAP - BUY TWICE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to theanomoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, really appreciate the post... Thank You.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RealDeaferent For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLetterL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am trying to purchase some DJ gear and I need your input. After reading Skooly’s post I hope this is enough info.
    I am trying to do 2 things:
    1. Incorporate scratching into my production
    2. Learn to DJ as in beat matching, maybe some beat juggling and transitions and scratching obviously.
    I scouted out a Numark “Battle Pack” with 2 TT1625’s, a DM950 mixer. It comes with cartridges but does not specify what kind. Maybe I can buy them separately per your suggestions.
    I should note that about a year ago I was trying to learn to scratch on a TT1625 but couldn’t quite get it, so I sold it. But later I found out that the cartridge makes a difference too. Now I am thinking that I had a poor cartridge.
    Will this system work for what I am trying to do? I know people say “Buy cheap, buy twice” but this is kind of what I can afford. Should I wait until I can afford better or can this work for starters?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLetterL For This Useful Post:

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Master O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good Looking

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hlj52582 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    no no no no no...

If you're even halfway serious about scratching (which you shouldn't be because its not 1999 anymore) you'd get 1200s or a pdx2000 and up. Nothing else. Some sort of vestax pmc mixer to start with and you could possily get away with stanton cartridges. Nothing else will cut it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to projectbrownman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're really gonna try to tell me to stop scratching because "it's not 1999 anymore"?

The skratch world is still expanding and I don't see it completely dying out any time soon. It's an art form just like producing.

Keep that BS out of my thread!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skool.Yard.Mafia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm just bitter - I was in there in the glory days, when d (stlyes) and q (bert) were still collabing, when nicks was taking over the world one 2,000 post at a time, when crabs were still controversial, a-trak was still a tweenager, the forums were popping off constantly, new scratches were being invented weekly, serato didn't exist, toadstyle hadn't dropped flatulent boy yet...

Anyway, scratching is as close to my heart as any art form ever will be. Seriously, you should go for it. It's just a crying shame that the scene is so dead. Make sure you check out vids of the following on youtube:
    The Bastard Language Tour (Ricci Rucker, D-Styles, Mike Boo, Toadstyle)
    D-Styles
    Toad and Excess

Also, get a copy of Scetchbook by Ricci Rucker and Phantasmagorea by D-Styles to see how far scratching can go in pure production. Finally, some excellent beats to cut to can be found on the Sqratchers Delight series. Check out TTLab.

And oh yeah, if you can, find a Delorean and skip back to 99. The Doc will tell you what to do from there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to projectbrownman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    whats up to all my DJ's! I'm an upcoming artist looking to get my music heard anyway that I can. please take a moment of your time and show support and download a FREE copy of my album. I have some good tracks on it. Maybe you could put it in your mix when you're DJ'n. Thanks God Bless! zshare.net/download/79257803b193a67b/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jptracks09 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information