Sennheiser HD 280's vs Sony MDR V700

S

Sheem

Sennheiser HD 280's vs Sony MDR V700.... Which one is better? I've found a couple online stores have them for $99.99.

the senns.

ive owned the v500's, technics 1210, and now the 280's. and the 280s are my favourites. i still use my 1210's sometimes. but the 280's shiz all over the v700's. 700's are rubbish really.

DEFINITELY go for the HD280's. They have some of the greatest isolation of any closed headphone, which is really important in loud clubs, and they are circumaural. That means, they go around the ear, which would probably make them more comfortable than the V700. They also have a much nicer frequency response that is flatter than the V700, not tubby and bloated like the V700.

Everytime I post about headphones, I always point people towards Head-Fi, but that forum is really a great place to do headphone research. Extremely helpful people there, nice reviews, good and sound advice...here's a review over there for the HD-280's by a prominent Head-Fi member:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8876&highlight=Sennheiser+HD280

Here's a thread with some short comments on the Sennheiser HD280 vs. Sony V700:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10651&highlight=Sennheiser+HD280

Hope this helps! Word :cool:

Last edited:
Even though the 280s have gotten good reviews from Audiophiles, they have gotten some rotten reviews from djs who spin at clubs. In addition, some have stated that they have had problems with them right out of the box, even after burning them in.
Remember, because its a good listening headphone, which is how the audiophile rates it, it does not necessarily mean it will cut it for your djing needs.

Also, keep in mind that even if it does isolate noise very well, some people mix with the headphone on the should, like I do, so it may not cut it if the headphone does not go up as loud or if it does provide enough bass in a loud club environment.

I personally believe that Sennheiser decided to go a bit cheap with the 280, part of the reason of why they are cheaper, and they don't go as loud as the HD25. So, if you want to go with Sennheiser, I would suggest you choose the HD25.

If you are wondering about the MDR-V700DJ... well, they are good enough for djing (sound wise), I own a pair, but the quality is ****, as many people who have them, like my self, experience cracks in the hinges and cracks in the leather area. I would expect a solid built headphone, especially if it's labeled "DJ headphone". I won't lie... Some people just hate the Sony's cause everyone has them, so they bash the 700DJ. They go very loud, they are very easy to drive in any mixer (they provide a lot of output in almost any mixer), that is the only plus they have. Sound clarity isnt as good as it can be, but with djing, its not always about best natural/flat headphone. Like I mentioned before though, you dont want to be in a situation where you just are out of warranty, and they begin cracking.

Last edited:
the HD-280 are louder than the v700
HD-280 SPL - 113dB
MDR-V700 SPL - 106dB
the V700 are easier to drive tho (24 ohms Vs. 64 ohms), but that doesn't matter if u have a decent mixer with a decent headphone amp

RickyDelMar said:
I personally believe that Sennheiser decided to go a bit cheap with the 280, part of the reason of why they are cheaper, and they don't go as loud as the HD25. So, if you want to go with Sennheiser, I would suggest you choose the HD25.

Very true, you can't go much higher than with the HD25's, and still maintain excellent sound quality. The overally built of these are much like technics tt's, robust and they do the job really well. Can't go wrong here.

the HD-280 are louder than the v700
HD-280 SPL - 113dB
MDR-V700 SPL - 106dB
the V700 are easier to drive tho (24 ohms Vs. 64 ohms), but that doesn't matter if u have a decent mixer with a decent headphone amp

The specs don't mean much, cause many different values that aren't mentioned in the specs will influence the performance and sound of the headphone.

The MDR700DJ actually has good specs...3000mW input, 50mm drivers, excellent frequence response, etc. They even have a bettery frequency response than the MDR7506 Sony headphones and they sound muddier and much less natural than the 7506. They spec is mainly a way to impress and advertise.

Based on a couple of reviews I have seen, a guy mentioned that the HD280s got distorted with moderate high volumes, and I believed he was using a Pioneer DJM600. Ive never heard anyone complian about the amp on the DJM600. I believe another guy who spun at different clubs with the HD280 mentioned that they also werent loud enough and they distorted at high volumes, and he tested them through some different mixers, and I believe one of them was a Rane.

To Sheem: I would actually tell you to try them out for yourself, and see what you like, and think about what type of application you will be using that headphone. I havent tried the HD280, so I cannot dissaprove of them completely, but I've tried the MDR-V700DJ, and I dont recommend them, mainly for poor engineering reasons.

The V700's have a better frequency response than the 7506? HAH! :p The V700's have a tubby and bloated upper sub-bass/lower mid-bass response. This may make it seem like they have a lower response, but the V6/7506 have a flatter response. The V700's "bloat" in the response seems particularily EQ'd for beatmatching, as the beats stick out like a sore thumb. So, this may be good for live mixing, but I think this is important to have a flat response for bedroom mixing and doing mix CD's and the like, as you can monitor your EQ's very well.

I have heard problems with the HD280's getting distorted at high volumes, so this is of some concern. But, I think the huge isolation would be a benefit, because you wouldn't need to turn it up as loud. Besides that, I'm sure they are more comfortable than the V700's. Those things sit on top of your ears and get quite sweaty after a while.

You can also get some V6's and replace them with replacement velour pads available for Beyerdynamic's DT250 headphones. These are much more comfortable than the pleather pads, and allow your ears to "breathe," thus making them not so friggin' hot. They don't isolate as well as the HD280's, but they're good cans. I say in almost every post about them, they are used in professional studios around the world, and by globe-trotting DJ's as well (Nick Warren comes to mind).

Never tried the HD25/HD25-SP, but I hear these are GREAT DJ cans. They look really small and plasticky, so I'm concerned about the build quality...anyone else have a clue about these?

HD25/25sp are the most robust headphones I've ever tried. You can beat them to infinity and throw them around and they don't break. The reason is that they don't have a hard plastic structure, but a soft plastic flexible structure and the 2 drivers just attached to it in a very flexible way. They're very light... especially 25sp that weigh 130-140g I think... And every single part is replaceable. They are THE ultimatre dj and producer (ALSO, very important for me) headphone, and if somebody told me that Pioneer od Technics just made the most spacey sounding and looking hp on the market, I would go for 25/25sp again...

RickyDelMar said:

The specs don't mean much, cause many different values that aren't mentioned in the specs will influence the performance and sound of the headphone.

The MDR700DJ actually has good specs...3000mW input, 50mm drivers, excellent frequence response, etc. They even have a bettery frequency response than the MDR7506 Sony headphones and they sound muddier and much less natural than the 7506. They spec is mainly a way to impress and advertise.

Based on a couple of reviews I have seen, a guy mentioned that the HD280s got distorted with moderate high volumes, and I believed he was using a Pioneer DJM600. Ive never heard anyone complian about the amp on the DJM600. I believe another guy who spun at different clubs with the HD280 mentioned that they also werent loud enough and they distorted at high volumes, and he tested them through some different mixers, and I believe one of them was a Rane.

To Sheem: I would actually tell you to try them out for yourself, and see what you like, and think about what type of application you will be using that headphone. I havent tried the HD280, so I cannot dissaprove of them completely, but I've tried the MDR-V700DJ, and I dont recommend them, mainly for poor engineering reasons.

true, specs doesn't mean much in terms of sound quality, but in terms of power they do (SPL)
u can't figure how the heaphones are gonna sound just from the specs, but again, i'm not talking about sound, i'm talking about power
i had V700, and i just tested a pair of 280 about a week ago, the 280 were defently louder

Back