Scratch in Vocals like DJ Premier, Anyone Know How?

Can anyone tell me how to scratch in Vocals like Premier does on his hooks? Direct Drive, Belt Drive, a certain program? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

noblewordz said:
Whats to explain, you take a bunch of lines and scratch them. How you do it is your choice.

He's basically right, you need to be good at skratching to make your stuff sound like primo. There is no certain turntable or program that will make you sound anywhere close to him.

I'm starting with no knowledge of scratching. I have used reason and recycle to get beats done, I have been sampling off my belt drive turntable and have been pulling everything into logic to mix and master, but again, I have no knowledge of even where to begin. So any base knowledge would be useful

Juice Productions said:
I'm starting with no knowledge of scratching. I have used reason and recycle to get beats done, I have been sampling off my belt drive turntable and have been pulling everything into logic to mix and master, but again, I have no knowledge of even where to begin. So any base knowledge would be useful

Well you will need a DJ Mixer. Rane or Vestax are preferable, although there are cheaper alternatives. You will need a direct drive turntable, preferably Vestax or Technics, again there are cheaper alternatives. Then find the records you want cut with and start practicing.

patrickdpr said:
Well you will need a DJ Mixer. Rane or Vestax are preferable, although there are cheaper alternatives. You will need a direct drive turntable, preferably Vestax or Technics, again there are cheaper alternatives. Then find the records you want cut with and start practicing.

and if you want to skratch the vocals of your own work, then like the other guy said you got to get serato or something similair

Last edited:
Juice Productions said:
Can anyone tell me how to scratch in Vocals like Premier does on his hooks? Direct Drive, Belt Drive, a certain program? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

search for some dj q-bert videos on youtube. and also try to hook up with local hip hop dj's, and i'm talking about the ones that scratch!

peace

you will need a decent mixer to accomplish the task but the method is simple... you could play a track that has a scratched hook that you like and try to copy whats being done while it plays. for example mass appeal by gang starr uses a line from pass da mic by da youngstas as the hook. you play the track by gang starr and scratch the hook along with the record until you can match the original or at least come close. just my $.005

premo uses a techniques 1200 turntable and a regular mixer. im sure he has acapellas of the vocals as well. you could get that set up or get a good mp3 mixer with beat kill function to get busy.

qbert would be mad confusing to a begginer..........though i'm sure one oftaps will clue it in.......but it goes just lie it sounds.......

and like dude said get a rane, or a qfo,,,,,,thsats tye ****

Back