Reference point for a beginner dj.

frequentc

I had a very brief stint with djing when I bought a Ion Discover DJ controller, although I'm much more comfortable as a producer.
I want to really get comfortable with my Discover DJ before I move on, so as of right now I'm good for hardware.
I dipped my fingers into some electro house and hip hop djing, but with not much technique so to speak.
Since then my controller was gathering dust, and I've re stimulated my interests to mess around with djing again, triggered by a renaissance of my discovery of synth pop.
But I want to know if there's a point of reference I can do to develop proper DJ-ing technique.
As of now my only technique is self discovered (and I might have obliviously developed bad habits)
I set up cues that parallel drops for synth pop, electronica, or electro house.
When I eq my two tracks, I use a give and take system (cut some bass in A, gain some in B)
I've looked into some scratching techniques (stabs, rips, baby scratch)
And I screw around with samplers and effects (I currently use VirtualDJ)
Do you recommend a book I can develop some good habits off of?
Also any other DJ software I could look into? I know VDJ doesn't have the most favorable impression.

Last edited:
Try dubstep. DJing with it is real challenging, so it will help you learn more of the technique and effects of DJing. Also don't be afraid to do anything out of the DJ ordinary.

how should u mix??? just make some cuts, add some drops to differ dubstep song while adding a differ sampple to it??? just curious im new and im trying o so hard to learn

Back