Recommendations for Inexpensive Turntable and Mixer.

J

jfdeaton617

I am considering buying a turntable and mixer, but I don't know which one would best work for my needs. I have never used turntables and I don't know if I need to get two turntables and a mixer or just one turntable and a mixer. I mainly want to use it for sampling into my MPC 1000. I also don't know if I should get one for vinyls or cds. I am looking for an entry level piece of equipment with a total cost under $300 if possible. Thank you for any info.

Also is the turntable truely necessary for sampling? Right now I sample from my computer into my MPC 1000. I know a lot of people like the feel a vinyl sound. Am I missing out?

Last edited by a moderator:
look on e-bay, if all your using it for is sampling, you dont even need a mixer. Just look for a cheap gemini on ebay, and theirs also usb turntables too.

Mixer

The only reason I am considering getting a mixer is for running my keyboard to my MPC. I have a generic mixer that my Dad's company makes and it works fine, but I thought that a new mixer would offer me the flexibility of adding a second turntable if I ever decide to.

you can get some stanton turntables cheap online.Work well for sampling.If using just computer for you samples you got off of mp3 files or what not.If you want a certain grittiness you would have to add effects to the track using file editing software like samplitude or sound forge due to the type of effects in those programs

hey i actually just started mixing and i bought 2 Gemini TT-01mkII turntables and a Numark DM1050 mixer. All together a little under $300.

rockandsoul.com

sonce i just started i can't answer your question, but if you want a vinyl setup cheap, this one is good, or at least i think so :cool:

jfdeaton617 said:
I am considering buying a turntable and mixer, but I don't know which one would best work for my needs. I have never used turntables and I don't know if I need to get two turntables and a mixer or just one turntable and a mixer. I mainly want to use it for sampling into my MPC 1000. I also don't know if I should get one for vinyls or cds. I am looking for an entry level piece of equipment with a total cost under $300 if possible. Thank you for any info.

Also is the turntable truely necessary for sampling? Right now I sample from my computer into my MPC 1000. I know a lot of people like the feel a vinyl sound. Am I missing out?

if you're only using it for sampling, get the cheapest turntable you can find pretty much, and the cheapest 3 band eq mixer you can find (in case you want to eq something a bit pre-sampling), then put your money into getting an ortofon needle/cartridge, because that's what gives you the sound quality... they'll run you around $100 I think

this setup won't allow you to do anything else but sample though, and you still need a mixer or preamp of some sort when sampling from a turntable, because sampling straight from the turntable won't give you the same sound quality... records are pressed with a certain eq cut/boost on certain parts that most mixers balance out for you

Thanks for the info Neokinetic

I appreciate the information. Thats probably what I do.

sounds like you got it handled which is good but, correction to you won't need a mixer for the TT, yeah you will need one unless you have some other piece of equipment with a preamp!

Back