Questions on DJ Equipment

S

shbi

Hey all...before you leave this thread seeing my 1 post count and seeing the thread title, please take a minute to read my queries and leave some advice- would be deeply appreciated.

I'm a 17 year old student from London UK, currently studying at college. My main interest is music and after many years of listening to various DJs and enjoying the musical style, I have finally earnt some cash in the summer (about £650 after expenses of too many nights out) to hopefully fulfil one of my aspirations. I am not a total stranger to the equipment, as I know a fair bit bout turntables and mixers from research, listening to music and watching shows, and have tried out before with friends setups and stuff. However, because I am reluctant to spend my hard earned cash on impulse, i thought I would ask for some advice on these forums, due to the collective wealth of information and advice here. I'm not totally new to FP, and have checked the site occassionally for about half a year, but have never felt the need to post, not actually being a producer/DJ.

Due to my budget, I expect I'll be buying used equipment off ebay (easier than anywhere else with bigger choice) but this is fine by me, as long as all the stuff works and come in relatively good nik. If any of you have suggested questions to ask sellers before committing to an auction, i would be interested to hear, especially if they are problems to do with performance and bearing in mind any common problems with the equipment i would like to get.

Following on from this, from research and general knowledge, I would like to get Technics. Mk5 are probably a little too expensive for my budget but mk2s or Mk3s would be jus as good if they are available. Would you suggest spending the extra money to get Mk5s or are Mk2 sufficient? What is so special about Mk5s anyway, apart from the + and - 16% pitch? Also, If i were to bid on a pair of tehnics, what components ((which come with the decks originally) should i look for which the seller might not be including (slipmats, instructions etc...)

AS for a mixer, my knowlede aint great but I'd like soemthing with good sound quality, durability and faders with 3 channels. An all round mixer like Vestax PCV275 for example. Can you suggest any other mixers similar to this in terms of features and quality and price range that is better overall? The PVC275 is appealing, but I have no experience with it, and dont know much (apart from the basics, and what things do) about mixers, and how they handle; so again, advice would be appreciated.

Follwing on from decks and mixers, I have little knowledge on needles (only know ortofon and shures are good) and next to no knowledge on headphones and leads. Any advice regarding these would help- my budget obviously cannot accomodate the best of stuff, but I would stil like good equipment and would be willing to pay extra (over my budget) for better quality and longetivity, as long as it aint too much. Also, what other things will I need to setup (forgetting momentarily amps speakers etc, and, of course, vinyl).

I am based near central London and while I know of some shops like Westend DJ, my knowledge aint great, and any shops or businesses you could consider helpful, please point me in the right direction. If I didbuy used decks off Ebay, would it be a good idea to get them fully serviced before use, and if so, how much should I expect to pay for it and where in London could it be done? What exactly does a service involve?

Finally, earlier this week, I did bid on a set of technics 1210 Mk3s in good condition with original boxes for £350, but was outbid in last 30 seconds for £375 (im quite new to eBay). Upon losing the auction, I thought I should first consult others with more knowledge to see exactly what would suit me and what to look out for. Would you say this was a good price to pay, considering they looked to be in good condition with ortofon scratch carts? Also, would it be better to wait until after christmas to look, and would it be likely that there might be more choice?

Thanks very much for reading this far and apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before on the boards- I know its a concurrent issue on FP with inquisitive newbs, but I did try a couple of searches before, and didnt really find answers to questions which i wanted to know. Please answer my queries if you can- I have spent time and thought compilling this, and am very keen to actually purchase a good setup- your advice would be very beneficial. I would be extremely thankful.

Peace
Shbi

ps; in terms of why DJing appeals to me, I really enjoy music by the likes of DJ Shadow, Diplo, Blockhead, El-P etc. but also like the whole idea of tunrtablism as well (been to the last 3 years of DMC world finals in London and Uk finals, enjoying every moment). Overall though, I have an extremely broad and eccectic musical taste and like all sots of music; D&B, funk, electronic, indie, trance, rock, jazz regae, chillout...- I see DJing as a way to broaden my musical horizons through mixing etc.

technics mk2 m3d's mk5s whicheverone you buy you cant go wrong. as long as the motor is working and the tone arm isn't busted. new used its all the same. bought my mk2s 3 years ago and the person who had them before me had them for another 3 years so its about 6 years old and still rockin hella hard!

vestax 275. they come with pcv's all around. vestaxs top of the line faders, not the best in the industry but still durable and long lasting. im not sure about eqs, but im prety sure theirs kill switchs and stuff. both vestax mixers i own 07 and 06 are both over 3 years old and still kickin hard.

as far as headphones go..
i use the old technics rpdj1200s
the newer models are out and are dope louder and stuff.

but theirs the sony headphones the mdr700s or something. their dope prety loud adn bassy. im not sure but a lot of people dont like them. they recently had a price drop down to 99 usd.

Needles
shure whitelabels are what your looking for if you rather mix than scratch all day.
or
ortofon blue ones im not sure what their called but they have great sound quality.the concorde styles may fit you better. all in one piece rather than the headshell and the cartrage

dang son, you wrote a book. good job on the research tho.

get tech mk2's - you don't need the extra +/-8 on the pitch control and you will save a bundle.

for headphones, you can't go wrong with the classic Sony V6. Not V600, the original V6's. a studio & dj standard for the past 2 decades.

the blue ort's are good stuff, but even tho i've owned about 6 pairs of ort's in my career, i always recommend the Stanton 520SK needles. they are loud, durable, and reliable. and they are under $100 US for a pair already mounted on headshells, with a free case.

when buying on Ebay, make sure the seller has at minimum of 100 feedbacks and 98% positive or more. only buy stuff with real photos (not pulled from online catalogs). no need to get the decks serviced unless one of them doesn't work when you plug it in.

the pcv 275 or 175 are probably your best bet in your pricerange. i think the only brand that can compete in that range would be Ecler. avoid numark and stanton 3-channel mixers. they're junk. oh, and don't buy any mixers with built in samplers or effects.

hope this is helpful, and good luck.

cheers very much for all your replies...much needed advice very helpful

@Briggs...I know of www.decks.com..think their shop is called shapphires or summin, but if i can find it, ill check it out nxt time im up town...

ANd yea i did write a book, but wanna be totally sure bout stuff before committing cos if i'm only 17 yr old wit part time job, but also committed to college; if i go wrong wit ma moeny, would have to save again for a vry long time...

Anyway, thanks for the replies and please keep em coming..all your advice is appreciated..

Peace

shbi said:

ANd yea i did write a book, but wanna be totally sure bout stuff before committing cos if i'm only 17 yr old wit part time job, but also committed to college; if i go wrong wit ma moeny, would have to save again for a vry long time...

you remind me of myself at age 17 actually. i had my first job in NYC and i wanted to get into DJ'ing... i was making good money but i didn't want to waste it. i think i read every DJ site, review, and FAQ i could find for 3 months before i took the plunge.

i got 2 techs, sony v6 headphones, a pair of blue orts, and a Numark mixer. everything but the mixer proved to be very good choices and lasted me about 5 years before i replaced anything other than the mixer. i went through 9 of those in 8 years before i got a Rane. :)

yup, numark mixers are pants!

the sony headphones have a design fault where they snap/crack at the join to the head clamp bit!

sennheiser phones are a good bet, i forget which models, but there are a few on the range with detachable headphone cables, which is handy if your forever standing on the cable, which otherwise can be a costly business!!

go technics mk2 they will do everything you want!! and they are still industry standard!!

all the mixers already mentioned are all good, the eqs on vestax 05/06 are not the same as you would get on say a technics dmc battle mixer (which are dope) but they will suffice,

as for survicing, they shouldnt need it, all they would do is recalabrate them which is actually reletivly easy!! but probably not nessesary unless you are getting hold of some 1978 origianals,and make sure the motors in good nik, no obstructions etc, i got a pair and they are still going strong, as well as 3 others but i still use the old 1200 all the time for everything!!

its a good look, i did exactly the same, when i was at secondary school.
You won't regret it...
I got my pdx2000 mk 1s from sapphires, they arrived really quickly and were the cheapest deal at the time - 333 quid each

good luck and have fun

Back