Questions about making a remix..

digidoc

I'm a newbie to this area and can anyone walk me through the process of how a dj remix a track? for example, what's the differences in the process of a producer vs. a dj making/remixing a track? I know the dj's use an existing track but is it more common for them to use loops/samples rather than using midi instruments to add chords, fills… kinda like how a producer create a track? Also when you remix a track, how do you extract each instruments in the track (vocal, synth, keys…) to rearrange them?

wikipedia or google, not sure. dj usually just make mashups while beatmakers make beats.
Common tools of a dj I think is syncing software and turntables but at the same time it doesn't have to be tools that define a beatmaker/dj/producer because well, that's all a part of making a beat lol.

beatmakers[myself included] usually do not use/own dj software and prefer making beats with drumpads/pianos/samplers and control surfaces.
The difference between both is just the live performing of the beat after it's done I think.

Last edited:
A remix for a DJ is simple. Play a songs instrumental version on Deck 1. Then play an acapella version from another song on Deck 2. Match the tempo and play them together for a remix! With all the new gear though, performances can be taken a lot further, and remixes can get a lot more crazy.

I guess nowadays the line between producer and DJ, and everything else I guess is getting blurry. I'm not a DJ, but I would assume that when a DJ is performing they might have a set/routine in mind, and go with it on the fly. Whereas a producers approach is a lot more precise and in depth.

Do Dj's usually don't use a sequencer when they make a remix?

Well. Most "remixes" by a dj is just clever on the fly use of loops, hot cues, and an a capella and instrumental.

producers break it all down in a studio and don't do it in real time. They also use the individual constituent parts if available.

But some Dj's merge the 2. Think Richie Hawton

Back