Q? Can someone please explain adding scratches over a beat.

VILLIANBEATS

Okay, so this is my first post here... let me know if I'm doing anything out of proper etiquette.

I've been making beats for a while now... trying to awaken the ancient hip-hop spirits. I've got my turntables. I've got my Serato and control vinyl. I've watched endless youtube videos... the one thing I'm having trouble with fully grasping, is, how/when to put a scratch in a beat. Do you have the sound in mind before you lay it down, or is it on the fly? Is it something you want to put in every 4 bars? Or randomly? I guess I'm just looking for a more technical explination on how to make it twerk.

For reference; I'm looking for how to scratch more like DJ. Premier, Peanut Butter Wolf, DJ Abilities

Thank you, wise shamans.

When I'm just playing around and mixing in a lot of beats, back to back, I'll scratch in the beat I'm trying to mix in and maybe cut it out after a few bars if it doesn't sound right at that section. I'll do this a few times to add a more dynamic mix til I eventually want to go into the next beat.

For me, the act of scratching into some 808 kick, etc. adds more to the sound and it really presents itself as a more "in your face" transition as opposed to a smoother one where you EQ and adjust the volume accordingly.

I think it really boils down to understanding song structure though.

My 2 cents. Peace!

Hell yeah, you have great intention here...
when I had my tables set up in the past, I would just let a beat ride and kind of "freestyle" it or jam out until I found or made something that complimented the beat in a special way.

I think until you get really practiced in your techniques and practice with certain sounds (getting to know specific sounds intimately), it's kinda not realistic to be able to predict a lot with them like when writing music. Turntablism is different from playing a traditional instrument because each sound will have it's own unique possibilities and potential.

Where the scratches are placed in time are going to depend on if it is an instrumental, are there verses where MC's will be rapping, is it an experimental piece, do you want to add certain scratches to accent what the MC is saying, etc. Sometimes the scratches will be sparse, only happening during the chorus, sometimes they might consume the attention of the whole track if you are doing a badass instrumental piece with some crazy turntable work. It's going to boil down to where you basically do what you want with your own vision of the project.

Throw on a beat and have fun, try to do different things and use your imagination. Another thing that might help is to record all of your sessions, even if it's just a digital capture with some app. You never know when you might come across something dope accidentally and want to recreate it for your songwriting...this way at least you will have the ability to reference it again and practice it based on what you hear. You will also have a recording that you can cut/copy/paste edits and highlights from, into your song.

Last edited:
Back