Promotional Singles

basixxx

I"m going to be dj'ing @ a college radio station. The problem is that I don't have any singles. How do I go about recieving promotional cd's from major and independent record labels? Also, how can I get my hands on some acapellas so I can remix songs?

To get promos from labels, you have to get your name out there. They want to give their promos to people that they know will get a lot of ears to listen to it. They probably won't send some to some no name cat, no matter how good you are lol. And acapellas are on most singles put out by the labels at record stores.

aaaahhhh...You said cds. I have no idea then lol..sorry

big timothy said:
To get promos from labels, you have to get your name out there. They want to give their promos to people that they know will get a lot of ears to listen to it. They probably won't send some to some no name cat, no matter how good you are lol. And acapellas are on most singles put out by the labels at record stores.

aaaahhhh...You said cds. I have no idea then lol..sorry

Ahh man, there has to be more hope than that!

If you want to get promos then you could always get a job in a record store because they get buckets loads of promos every week, search around the net and you'll find places that you can buy accapelas , or alternatively you could just buy one tt

Cotsy said:
If you want to get promos then you could always get a job in a record store because they get buckets loads of promos every week, search around the net and you'll find places that you can buy accapelas , or alternatively you could just buy one tt

Well it sounds like a good idea, but I don't know about workin' in a record store.

What on earth do you mean about commercial music being risky?

I have a radio show, and get plenty of music sent to me. It is most often garbage. Therefore, I play the same stuff I play when I DJ out. Mostly records that I have bought. When you rely on free music, you get stuck with a lot of crap. You have to pay to play.

Peasant Nikon said:
What on earth do you mean about commercial music being risky?

I have a radio show, and get plenty of music sent to me. It is most often garbage. Therefore, I play the same stuff I play when I DJ out. Mostly records that I have bought. When you rely on free music, you get stuck with a lot of crap. You have to pay to play.

Yeah, I feel you on that, but I knew of a couple of radio show hosts who would recieve dope material from inde record labels. Also, in the mist of the garbage I may find a gem, so I'd rather get them free. Going out there and spending $$$ on sh*t I never heard of is risky, get it?

any decent wax shop will have a 'listening station' therefore you are not buying tracks unheard....

louped garou said:
any decent wax shop will have a 'listening station' therefore you are not buying tracks unheard....

Yes true, but judging by the number of cd's I'm going to buy, I don't have time to be listening to sh*t. Man, I've really been into to music for a long ass time, I know what I want.... Free Promos.

basixxx said:

Yes true, but judging by the number of cd's I'm going to buy, I don't have time to be listening to sh*t. Man, I've really been into to music for a long ass time, I know what I want.... Free Promos.

youre such a finicky one, aren't you....

just buy a label

or pay to play...

Last edited by a moderator:
not even talking about your music... talking about your desire to get freebies when you have nothing to offer the labels pressing them......

sound like a crackhead asking the neighborhood dealer, 'can I get freebie -- i aint got sh*t to give you in return, not even future customers, but can i get me some free rock'

louped garou said:
not even talking about your music... talking about your desire to get freebies when you have nothing to offer the labels pressing them......

sound like a crackhead asking the neighborhood dealer, 'can I get freebie -- i aint got sh*t to give you in return, not even future customers, but can i get me some free rock'

We're not talkin' bout crack though. We're talking music. These record labels send out plenty of promos to a whole bunch of nobodies just like you all the time. I don't think it's a big deal to them. I can always tell em' that I'm going to host a radio show.

This is what you do. Once you get established with your station and get up and running you will need to get in contact with label reps. Almost every major city has a field office for all the major labels. Sony,Universal,Virgin,RSMG,WEA etc,etc.Get with other DJs who are established and being serviced and they can point you in the right direction and maybe even put in a good word for you. If you are not in a major city or market then get in contact with the nearest major city or market. For example,I'm not in a major hip hop market or city but I'm only 3 hours from the Dallas/Ft Worth area so I'm in constant contact with the field offices/label reps in that area. They are the ones who service me. I also have alot of dj buddies there as well who keep my name in their ears and make sure I'm taken care of. You basically got to hustle for yourself though. I love getting the free stuff myself but I'm also a member in a record pool and online mp3 pool. I also buy alot of records and cd's as well. Talk to your PD or MD as well. They can help you out also by doing some of the leg work for you. They are, after all in charge of what music is being played and making sure the music is coming in to the station. Being that you are doing college radio you should be able to get the hook up with labels like Def Jux,ABB,Rawkus,Up Above and other independents. It's also a HUGE plus if your station has a BDS signal. That's Broadcast Data System. See, alot of labels want feedback on the material they send you. They want to know how many times it's being played,what times it is being played and if it's even being played at all. With BDS, labels can track the station and see what is going on without having to rely on DJ's filling out feedback sheets and sending them back to the reps. My station went BDS 4 years ago and my amount of vinyl and cd's per month practically doubled. I still have stacks of new shyt from last month I haven't gotten to yet. But I also hustle my ass off making sure I charm these reps(especially the ladies!)and keeping my name in their ears. It's all about persistence man. You're gonna have to be thick skinned and quick witted in some occasions as well cause some of these reps think they are GOD and can talk to you any way they feel. Just remain cordial and try and build relationships with them. Alot of these reps will hook you up because in the end they NEED us. WE don't need THEM! And they know it too. Hope this helps you out man. Good luck.

Yo wanna be DJ without buyin Records? thats bs!

I sugest to not become a DJ, cause when you have no music you dont seem to like it. So leave it.

dj rreal said:
This is what you do. Once you get established with your station and get up and running you will need to get in contact with label reps. Almost every major city has a field office for all the major labels. Sony,Universal,Virgin,RSMG,WEA etc,etc.Get with other DJs who are established and being serviced and...................

Good lookin' out, this is more than enough info. I'll give it a try. It's like you said, you've gotta be tough skinned. The problem w/me is that I don't like begging people for stuff. I'll put my ego away and give it a try.

basixxx said:

Good lookin' out, this is more than enough info. I'll give it a try. It's like you said, you've gotta be tough skinned. The problem w/me is that I don't like begging people for stuff. I'll put my ego away and give it a try.

The LAST thing you want to do is beg. Don't do that. It makes you appear weak in the eyes of some of these reps. Just be persistent. Keep getting at them until they are tired of you calling or emailing or whatever. They eventually break down and give you a shot. I'm telling you this from my own personal experiences. Just be persistent,cordial and professional. And definitely use your REAL name(first and last)when leaving messages and talking to them.

Back