Promotional Singles

louped garou said:
not even talking about your music... talking about your desire to get freebies when you have nothing to offer the labels pressing them......

When you work in radio you shouldn't have to pay for music man. That's one of the first pieces of advice my PD put me up on. "Why pay for something when you can get it for free?" That's the code I live by now! I still buy a lot of music though.

I would NEVER rely only on free promotional material for my show. We get a lot, we go through it, less than half ever gets mixed in. I feel no obligation to play records sent to me. If they are good, I am happy for it and we play them a lot, but most of them are not. The most solid stuff I have is stuff that I have spent a lot of time and money finding. This is so I can offer a set that is very different than one you could hear from anyone else. If you rely on free promos, your show loses all individuality, and you become a pawn to the labels.

Maybe this is not the way you come off, but to me, it sounds like you just don't care enough to find and pay for the music. The best advice I can give it to make a core of music you bought, make your sound, and then play some of the free stuff you get along with it.

Peasant Nikon said:
I would NEVER rely only on free promotional material for my show. We get a lot, we go through it, less than half ever gets mixed in. I feel no obligation to play records sent to me. If they are good, I am happy for it and we play them a lot, but most of them are not. The most solid stuff I have is stuff that I have spent a lot of time and money finding. This is so I can offer a set that is very different than one you could hear from anyone else. If you rely on free promos, your show loses all individuality, and you become a pawn to the labels.

Maybe this is not the way you come off, but to me, it sounds like you just don't care enough to find and pay for the music. The best advice I can give it to make a core of music you bought, make your sound, and then play some of the free stuff you get along with it.

You're exactly right. Don't rely on the freebies. Get out there and spend some money too. Especially if you want the good stuff.

After reading a lot of the responses, I guess I'm lucky enough to get my promos directly from the labels. I'm a DJ at a radio station (102.5 KDON - Salinas, CA), and my name gets put on the official roster and gets sent to the record label contacts. But to be honest, it's still isn't as great some people would imagine. After 3 years of being at the station, I'm barely starting to get serviced consistently from labels like Universal & Columbia (actually, it took quite a while to get universal). Labels like Def Jam are also hard to come across. In the labels' eyes, I'm still a "nobody" DJ and even a lot of bigger DJ's in bigger markets (namely KMEL & KYLD in my area) still have trouble getting serviced EVERYTHING that's hot. Also, a lot of the label reps are more concerned with sending you new music (or new artists) rather than current HOTT music. You often get a record, and just HOPE it becomes a hit. Another thing is that you get a lot of garbage from indy labels, stuff that builds up and you end up tossing anyway.

HoTsTePPa said:
Yo wanna be DJ without buyin Records? thats bs!

I sugest to not become a DJ, cause when you have no music you dont seem to like it. So leave it.

It's been a long time since I've been on this site................. How could I have missed your silly a** comment. Thanks for the advice bro, I'll stay away from the dj'n thing for a while.

episode said:
After reading a lot of the responses, I guess I'm lucky enough to get my promos directly from the labels. I'm a DJ at a radio station (102.5 KDON - Salinas, CA), and my name gets put on the official roster and gets sent to the record label contacts. But to be honest, it's still isn't as great some people would imagine. After 3 years of being at the station, I'm barely starting to get serviced consistently from labels like Universal & Columbia (actually, it took quite a while to get universal). Labels like Def Jam are also hard to come across. In the labels' eyes, I'm still a "nobody" DJ and even a lot of bigger DJ's in bigger markets (namely KMEL & KYLD in my area) still have trouble getting serviced EVERYTHING that's hot. Also, a lot of the label reps are more concerned with sending you new music (or new artists) rather than current HOTT music. You often get a record, and just HOPE it becomes a hit. Another thing is that you get a lot of garbage from indy labels, stuff that builds up and you end up tossing anyway.

Yeah, true I'm feelin' you......I got the idea of free promos from this girl that used to host a college radio station. She used to get cd's and lp's at her address. I'm sure the labels sent her alot of garbage but she had some quality material as well.
The bottom line is that I'm more likely to experiment with free promos. There's no way I'm going to Best Buy and coppin' some clown's cd I never heard of......

^^^ I'd say half of the records you get are gonna be boo-boo...but you always do come out with a couple gems.

episode, is that your DJ name? i've NEVER heard of you on 102.5, i mainly listen to 106 (i like underground bay area shiznit) and 949 (sometimes, it's TOO mainstream) but i listen to 102.5 a lot, never heard of you

408boss said:
episode, is that your DJ name? i've NEVER heard of you on 102.5, i mainly listen to 106 (i like underground bay area shiznit) and 949 (sometimes, it's TOO mainstream) but i listen to 102.5 a lot, never heard of you
I'm on every friday after midnight, 1-2am, for the Friday Night Street party.

Last edited:
sick wid it :P seems like every one has a street party, KMEL/KYLD/KDON :D i'd prefer yours, but I'm in san jose, and the reception isnt that good :(

Last edited:
408boss said:
sick wid it :P seems like every one has a street party, KMEL/KYLD/KDON :D i'd prefer yours, but I'm in san jose, and the reception isnt that good :(
Yeah, actually, even though the radio station is Salinas-based, I live in San Jose myself. The signal does bleed into certain parts of San Jose better than others. Thanks for the love.

aye... do you know how I can get in contact with CMT (ea ski) for some singles? I love that stuff, but it's hard to find on CD

Ok so this is what you do, you go to the local record label where they send out stuff, and you look for benz. You sifen out the gas and just enough to let the guy go a mile, then when he leaves you fallow him, when he pullz over you stop and offer him some gas to get him home, and then start talking to him. Boom you got a freind in the record buissness. LOL JUST JOKEING, honestly though, try becomeing freids with someone in the record buissness. It sometimes is who you know, not who you are. I once met a kid at a party that worked for bad boy records, I just wish I would have persued getting records from him. At the time I wasn't really djing for anyone, and wasn't planning on it. Now I will be DJing at a bar soon, and would be cool to have some new stuff for free.

Last edited:
that sucks, i just want some free stuff from CMT/EA Ski/Keak Da Sneak/Mistah fab you know who i'm talkin bout episode mainly the underground yay area shiznit

408boss said:
that sucks, i just want some free stuff from CMT/EA Ski/Keak Da Sneak/Mistah fab you know who i'm talkin bout episode mainly the underground yay area shiznit
Yeah, I agree, but a lot of these artists are on inde labels, and vinyl is definitely hard to come by. A lot of the bay music that the DJs are playing on KMEL & WILD are off mp3, probably either using a CDJ or serrato.

i spin on CDJ's :P so i'm lookin for some free CD's, i came by "Tell Me When To Go" awhile ago just searching the i-net but thats it

Back