POLL > Have you ever created a dj mix with just software?

::ReeBooT::

POLL >
Trying to find out who has created DJ mixes using just computer software. Not actual DJ Mixing software such as Virtual Turntables, PCDJ, BPM Studio, etc., but software such as Cubase, SoundForge, Cool Edit, Acid where you aren't making your mix 'LIVE' but song by song.

Let me know, either if u have done such a mix, or want too! I am currently creating such a mix using SoundForge and Acid Pro and am thinking about creating an article on how to create such a mix if the demand is enough.

what's the point? Besides using it for personal use or something to give to friends. A Dj mix that you give out would be to promote your skills for live mixing with Turntables or Cd's. Just thinking out loud here, but I would never do it :) *my two cents*

I've tryed mixing my songs in Buzz. It was pretty cool because Buzz took care of the tempo and all that, you could just consentrate on the filters and the extra samples you wanted to fill in.

I would never mix songs in other formats on a computer Live though. I'd rather use Vinyl or CD. The idea is interesting though. I mean, it would mean that all your songs was ready for use in MP3 and all you needed was your computer.

Maybe a little boring to stand as a DJ like that though?

I think this kind of mixing shouldn't be diminished. I agree that it doesn't show the "performance skills" of the DJ, however, this kind of process is used a lot to "remix" songs. Most remixes are done by having all the separate instruments and samples handy and triggering a MIDI sampler, but I think knowing ACID and "training" as reeboot described can be a good exercise. It is a different way, i'd call it "studio mixing"

When comes ot gigs and live performances though, I don't think this kind of mixing is appropriate.

Ckerr812:
The Point? Well the point of mixing via non-live software isn't to gain u respect in the world of dj'n or club dj'n live stuff. That's not what I realy meant. Yeah, If I wanted to show my true skillz, I wouldn't give a promoter or someone I would want to DJ for a mixed cd via software, but a live mix that I have recorded.

The Point of creating a software mix, like Mano said, is a form of "Studio Mixing." Alot of songs are remixed via software and its not recorded 'LIVE.' Alot of complete songs are not created 'LIVE' but people do call themselves Dj's even if they haven't touched turntables or cd players. If you have ever heard dance mixed cd's such as 'DEEP MAGIC DANCE', 'STUDIO 33', u would know what I am talking about. They are awesome, I mean AWESOME!!! mixed cd's that are totally done using the original tracks seperated (vocals, bass lines, etc.) of many songs which are blended together seamlessly with software such as Cubase, Cakewalk, Acid, etc., makes me want to cry. These mixed cd's are what I am trying to create and learn if other people are interested in learning how to make them, as I learn how to make my own!

Dj Chriss:
Yeah, I wouldn't want to dj a gig with a computer in front of me. This is all studio related where I would sit down and just combine songs and lay samples over them, mainly the songs are mp3's. Just to put together a mixed cd, and with practice, get to the point of something like DMD's stuff or Studio 33's. There is definatley a huge fan base for mixed cd's that aren't done 'LIVE' if u are into Trance/Eurodance, etc. and u haven't heard the type of mixes I am talking about let me know and I will send u a sample and u can tell me if u like it!

Back