Playing with mpc+vinyl on Ableton?

NastaG

Heya,

I've been perusing this form for a bit and have seen a few threads about this, but being as new to using hardware as I am, I'm finding myself a bit confused on the whole using Ableton to DJ. I've been using ableton for 4 years, but I've mostly just been programming or using an apc40. I've decided to move more to hardware because it feels more like playing than programming to me. That said, I'd still like to be able to incorporate Ableton because I'm so comfortable with it. So here are my questions: (if any of these are covered in other threads or completely obvious I'd appreciate if you could redirect me to those threads/info)

1. Is it possible to connect my mpc2000xl and my turntables to Ableton so I can play in real time?
2. If so, does anyone know a reliable way to do this? Are there multiple ways to do it?
3. Is it worth it?

If any of these questions are unclear, I'll clear them up as best I'd can.

Thanks in advance for the help.

you have a couple of options

If you don't want ableton time synced to the turntable, and wish to mix by ear on the turntable, then if you want to beatmatch ableton by ear if you are mixing from the turntable. Then you can just connect your computer output to a spare mixer channel.
If you want them time synced so you can trigger tracks in ableton in time automatically then you will need tracktor or serato which comes with a bridge to ableton and full sync controls. For this the apc would be more suited to the use of mixing in tracks.
If you want to finger drum and trigger samples and such with the mpc on ableton you just need a midi cable to connect to your computer and follow the akai instructions online.
it depends on what you want to eventually achieve with your set up as to how to put these bits of kit together.

Back