Pc set up

Hey just curious,

New beatmaker, wondering what sort of set up would be best working on a pc? Like the computer itself and its qualities. i use fl studio 11 if that's of any relevance.

thanks for all input ahead of time, i appreciate your time.

what is your current pc specs?
OS
Ram amount and type
CPU speed
video card
laptop/desktop/tower/other

what interface, if any, do you use?

to be completely honest im using an older computer that i dont plan on doing anything crazy with. What recommendations would you make for a new system when it comes to all you listed: ram amount, video card, cpu speed, etc?

It depends a lot on what you're intending to do and what type of producer you are. An oldschool hip hop beatmaker might not need that much power since he wouldn't really use a lot of instances of plugins that drag a lot of power from your computer he'll have his MPC hooked up and what not. A more modern type producer might need an expensive piece of machine.

These are just my thoughts but something decent would be around 8GB of RAM, like a 2.4ghz i5/i7 CPU with 6mb cache. Wouldn't be much concerned about video card unless you're thinking forward about video editing and the render time then 1 or 2GB nvidia graphics card is good. I usually go with the thought as much as my budged allows me i'll try to get a beast laptop so i can run this for years and take with me wherever i need. And this is PC not Mac its my personal preference.

It really depends on what VSTis you'll use. And how many automatons you use. VSTs like Nexus, Z3TA, and Serum will eat up a lot of ram.

But if you're chopping up existing stuff (sampling) you won't need a beast of a machine. You'll definitely want to invest in some monitor speakers. I bought a pair for less than $100 and they're super solid.

If you play keys, a midi keyboard is a must.

If you need beat pads, and you play keys, they have plenty of hybrid options of mpc/keyboarss.

Back